Doing DIY Projects

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
I think DIY projects are great! They are fun, save money and our birds seem to love them. DIY's save you money and are a great way to get your creativity into gear, LOL! However, I should make a few warnings about these projects.

As with any toy, they will need regular checks to make sure they are still safe for your bird. If they are made of rope, it will need regular trimmings, and wood may need ot be replaced over time. Once a toy becomes too worn and is a safety hazard to your bird, take it down and throw it away. With some toys, you cna salvage the peices, but with most, they will need to tossed. For certain toys, like those made of PVC with a rope or vet-wrap covering, simply remove the vet-wrap or rope and replace.

Please note: you know your bird best! You will know which toys will be appropriate or not. Please keep this in mind before making a DIY project. This is for your own bird's safety and you need to be aware of the fact that not all toys will be safe for your bird. Aslo note that some birds may not be comfortable on some toys. That is ok; most birds will not play on a toy they have never seen. Take it slow as to not stress your bird. Also know that some toys your bird may never play with. That is ok, although a disapointment to us! Instead of just letting it sit or tossing it, you can donate it to your local animal shelter for them to use with their birds. Not only does this help the shelter, but also gives a lonely, bored bird something to enjoy!

Remeber to always get Stainless steel! I cannot stress this enough! SS is the safest thing you can get for your bird. Although it is a bit more expensive, other metals can be dangerous to your bird's life and SS is the safest. Also be sure that you have ALL the materials you need before attempting. Our goal with DIY is to save you money, but you cannot really do that unless you have all of your materials. Some materials, though they may seem needless, are manditory to having the right outcome to your toy. Also remember that you should wash materials like PVC before using them. Also wash any materials you think could have chemicals on them.

Just a friendly warning before beginning your DIY's!

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Meant to say that there were a lot of great points here so made it sticky so that it will be easy for all concerned to find it. :D

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Thanks! I was kinda hoping you would make it a sticky. All too many times people make bird toys and don't think about the safety of it first. I alwaysmake a big point about this :)

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Re: Jute

Is jute an appropriate material to use? I'd braid it into a thick rope & add wood toys as I go along...

Hmmm...I have never heard of it. Do you have a picture?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Well, I am not sure about Jute ... I know that it's a natural fiber (one of my buddies made a suit out of it ... ) might want to do some more research on this topic ...

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
a JUTE SUIT? Jute is burlap, that can't be comfy.

I don't think there's anything chemically about jute that would make it unsafe. It's used in toys for other pets. The only POTENTIAL concern is that I think the fibers are generally very long... choking hazard if/when it frayed?

LSMITTZ

Jun 26, 2012
Media
Parrots
Sir Reginald of Lambert a.k.a Reggie - Alexandrine
hey guys, what's a safe glue I can use to make a toy?

OctupussPrime

Dec 3, 2012
Kuwait
Parrots
African Grey
2 Ringneck Parrot
Hi.. I made a DIY toy with no effort at all and my bird LOVED it. All I used was a string, and attached it to a toothpaste box by making tiny holes opposite of each other then sticking the string through and tied it in my CAG's cage. He loved it and destroyed it in a day.. Cheap, no effort and birds love it =P

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
I haven't tried it, but theoretically cornflour glue would be bird safe. I don't know how well it holds together though.

To make it take 1 part corn flour (1/3 cup) + 3 parts water (1 cup). In a saucepan mix the cornflour with a little cold water to form a paste. Then add the hot water a little at a time, stirring vigorously to get rid of any lumps. Once all the water is added cook the paste, stirring continuously over medium heat until it thickens and becomes opaque.

As I said, I don't know how well this sticks together, so if anyone tries it let me know!

EDIT
Is the waxy stuff on paper cups bird safe?

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Thanks for the formula Momma, but you could save yourself a bit of work by just using Elmer's white glue or their carpenter's glue.....both OK around your flock.....

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
I believe Drs. Foster and smith could answer about the jute. They have a free website.I believe it's all natural. My husband has a shirt made of it other countries use it for clothing. Bonita

Sheeji

Feb 18, 2015
Media
Al khobar Saudi Arabia
Parrots
16 month old Congo African grey called Leo
This is such a useful post. Thanks. I'm always making stuff for my CAG. I built him a playgym out of old IKEA shoeracks. He's busy destroying it bit by bit every day and soon we'll need another one.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts