Dust control

Spiffy

Oct 30, 2022
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Hi all. New on this forum. I presently own a 17 yo blue and gold macaw. I have had her from birth. I'm turning 63 and have developed an allergy to her dander. She is very dusty. I keep her in a doorless cage in my main room. The dust is getting worse so I think. I need to explore air cleaners that I can use beside her perch. I installed a new furnace with hepa filters but it's not helping.
I might have to re home her if I can't get the dust undercontrol.
A filter needs to be quiet.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Wow, @Spiffy, 17 years with your macaw, that is wonderful. Here is a link to my post in a thread about air filters.

I am using that filter in a nice big room with two Conures in it. I shared the link to that post because there is important information about some air purifiers being unsafe for parrots.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I use an air filter as well. Do you cover her cage at night with anything or have any type of blanket in the room?
You should wash it every month or more often because they tend to attract dust.
Also how often does she bath? If not very often in a water bowl, pan etc. you could spray her with a misting bottle, I do this with my birds at least 4 times a week, some days they take a bath themselves.
I'm sure you already know this tip but sweeping or vacuuming at least every other day helps tremendously.

Most Reactions