OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Moose, I promise it's mostly set it and forget it!

Give appropriate amount of sun as described in the tag (shade, half shade/half sun, or full sun), Water when wilting, and keep up with the weeds, done! Plants have this wonderful tendency to grow perfectly well on their own without human interference.

Tony21

Feb 6, 2015
Peterborough, Canada
Parrots
Macaw
Doublete, plumsmum is so right, a number of weeds are great! Dandelion is one of them. Wild scallion FLOWERS are good. And Japanese honeysuckle FLOWERS are great, parrots like the nectar.

For timing, all these Ive planted can take some cold. They are what are often referred to as cool season crops. They are sown/planted here in MD from feb-may. Harvested around the time you plant the summer stuff that can't take the cold like tomatoes. You should give it a try!

Tony, thanks! It's not so easy to do these in our area year round. The heat of the summer usually does one of two things: cause them to bolt, and if you escape that, the heat can make the leaves bitter. The most likely scenario for success with these in the summer is growing them shadier, but it's no guarantee.

I feel your pain! Between the lack of sun in the back and the landlords dog, everything either got trampled or just didn't produce well. I'm definitely gonna b try sowing my seeds earlier this year, when the snow is gone and the ground has thawed. ( hopefully in a few weeks).

I wish you all the best luck with your garden!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure where you are, but we had 14" of snow on the ground last week Thursday, near nothing on Sunday and 60 degree temperatures. This morning; 2" of new snow, which is gone now and we are under a Winter Storm Warning for Tuesday and Wednesday. Point being, in Lower Western Michigan, we are nowhere ready to plant anything.

As I understand it, its all about soil temperature at planting depth. Each seed has a specific soil temperature and planting prior to that temperature is a waste of time. Check you local Gardening Center for required temperature levels for what you are planting.

Best of luck on the Garden, I'm sure your parrots watched from the window and cheered you on!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sailboat, I'm in Maryland. We've had 50-60F days lately. Late February. Early March is typical for these.

While you are partially correct regarding soil temp, you have to keep in mind that most are at most .5" below the soil (if not just broadcast on top of the soil), not great insulation. They are more at the whim of air temperature at that depth than anything.

Most Reactions

Latest posts