Eating whole seed

re4leader

Mar 27, 2018
Hi, I got my sun Conure he's 3 mo. 2 weeks breeder says he needs another 2 weeks of weening, which seems pretty old to still be weening! Non the less tho he will eat his seeds but I saw his poop and they're all whole seeds so he's not chewing them, I got him zupreme natural pellets and tried one but couldnt break it up, I tried softening them up with a little water but he showed no interest in the pellets anymore, the seeds he had were like millet spray, but not actually millet it's like the filler seeds they throw in the bag. What advice do you guys have to get him to either break up the seeds he eats or get him to eat the pellets

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Get him off whatever seed that is!

And no, he is not too old to still be eating formula. They sold him to you unweaned? Disgusting. Several of us spent a lot of time just this morning trying to help someone save their bird after a selfish and unethical person sold them the baby unweaned. Please try to get them to take the bird back until he is fully weaned and safe to bring home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

re4leader

Mar 27, 2018
Get him off whatever seed that is!

And no, he is not too old to still be eating formula. They sold him to you unweaned? Disgusting. Several of us spent a lot of time just this morning trying to help someone save their bird after a selfish and unethical person sold them the baby unweaned. Please try to get them to take the bird back until he is fully weaned and safe to bring home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. But do you have any helpful suggestions as to what I should feed him during weening

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
start off with soft foods like chopped up fruit and veg, but don't take his formula feeds away, get him interested in the food by eating little bits of the chopped food so he can understand it's food. Once he is eating fine on his own he will refuse to eat the formula

But definitely get him back to the breeder if possible. They can do their job and finish that extra bit of weaning

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Basically feed him baby food- mushy fruits and veg, oatmeal, pureed grains and beans (fully cooked first).

But really, give him a snack and get on the phone with the breeder. As Silversage said, some of us just spent several hours trying to save an unweaned baby. It died, despite the owners best efforts to save it. You wouldn't let a car mechanic operate on your brain so while you may be a very intelligent and talented person, don't be the mechanic operating on a brain. Return the baby to someone who knows what they're doing until it's weaned.

OP
R

re4leader

Mar 27, 2018
He is still on formula I deff didn't cut it from his diet I feel him in the am and night. I'll try to give him some fruit to play with throughout the day, should I leave the pellets in his box so he can at least try to break it up and eat it?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
You should give him a snack and call the breeder to finish weaning him. Unless left with literally no other option you should not be trying to wean this baby yourself. We have had a rash of this lately and several babies who DID NOT SURVIVE. Do what is right for the baby.

And if your hangup is the whole "bonding myth" it's just that- a myth. The baby will have a BETTER chance of bonding AFTER weaning. Baby birds don't naturally bond with their parents (i.e. you now) for life. They can, but it's not their natural way.

OP
R

re4leader

Mar 27, 2018
I called my breeder and he's gonna take him until his is finished weening, thanks

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My Nanday Conure was still being hand fed at 4 months so it's just how ever long until he wants to stop.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I called my breeder and he's gonna take him until his is finished weening, thanks

Wonderful news! You are really giving this baby the best start to life by doing this. And with an expected lifespan of around 30 years, a few more weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I hope you will keep us updated on how the baby does and share more about your journey after he comes home:)

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18

But seriously try to get your breeder to ween him into pellets like TOPS , Harrison's or Zupreem Natural. Maybe buy them for the breeder so they don't have an extra cost.

Most Reactions