Eclectus Chop version 3.0

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
So I screwed up on this one I think. Typically my base is an orange vegetable like butternut squash or sweet potato, then I add a grain, then a leafy green, then all the ā€œregular vegetablesā€ (peas, corn, carrots, etc). Well. I forgot the squash or potato so itā€™s not very orange.

I made and froze roughly 30 days of:
Turnip greens
Okra
Broccoli (with leaves)
Cauliflower
Cooked Brown rice
Cooked Tricolor quinoa
Corn
Peas
Carrots (quite a lot of carrots)
Green beans
Lima beans
Red chili peppers (seeds and flesh)
Bell pepper (seeds and flesh)
Crushed red pepper flakes

On the day off feeding I will add:

A few small pieces of fruit (a blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry or a peach or mango slice)
Sprouted chickpeas or lentils
3 cloves to help with beak maintenance
Carroway seed
Celery seed
Flax seed
Chia seed
And rolled oats to absorb any moisture

Iā€™m thinking with the carrots, chili pepper and flakes, and okra there should be enough vitamin A in here. Iā€™ll probably focus on mango as the fruit slice for the extra A though.

Attachments

• AEA6B01B-6E47-476E-96F2-BB78AF49B6BC.jpeg
    AEA6B01B-6E47-476E-96F2-BB78AF49B6BC.jpeg
    551.7 KB · Views: 87

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
That's MY ideal lunch right there. Lucky Ekkie, is tacocaT! It will be interesting to see if he notices the change form orange base!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am doing the bird tricks natural seasonal system. I spent so much time trying to come up with recipes for Nico that were unsuccessful. So far so good. I am just going to add some things from his homeland to spice things up.

I've had a lot of failed chop attempts. Nico would eat it for a week, and then stop eating it, or he would not eat it at all. If you find something that your Ekkie really loves do share!! Terry57 made some cookies that Nico absolutely fell in love with that are ekkie safe.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Oh gosh, you added okraā€¦

Thatā€™s in my list of NEVER adds, along with barley. Both contribute a nasty slimy and wet texture to the chop that makes it potentially really unpleasant.

Lessons learned from experience. hopefully you have a different experience.

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Oh gosh, you added okraā€¦

Thatā€™s in my list of NEVER adds, along with barley. Both contribute a nasty slimy and wet texture to the chop that makes it potentially really unpleasant.

Lessons learned from experience. hopefully you have a different experience.

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
We have had absolutely no problem with the okra so far. I do mix oats in the day of to absorb moisture so maybe that makes a difference? He is a huge okra fan. He will fight over okra. He saw me chopping some for dinner and he turned into a dive bombing monster from a Hitchcock movie šŸ˜‚

Most Reactions

Latest posts