Eclectus doesn’t shower .. help with moult please

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
That's so great! There's such great satisfaction watching our birds enjoying simple things in life.
So, where is he standing in the shower? On your shoulders or on a stand?
[Edit] Never mind, I saw your earlier picture with him on a stand.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
That's so great! There's such great satisfaction watching our birds enjoying simple things in life.
So, where is he standing in the shower? On your shoulders or on a stand?
[Edit] Never mind, I saw your earlier picture with him on a stand.
i will explain. Originally for months, he was on my head but played aggressively, and my ears were fair game.. so then we made the stand and I sit on a seat, he’s on the stand in front of me. he will run up and down the wooden perch Into and out of the water, then jump to my head and spread his wings again, slide down my head onto my shoulder and jump back to his stand. I’m like a fun slide. Only half the stand is in the water stream, I sit in the dry lol

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It’s over a year scince I posted on this thread, but he now usually goes quite happily in the shower As long as it’s in the afternoon. Last week I took him in the morning and he just about reached his beak in then flew off.
today about 2pm.. I couldn’t get him out. Both me and hubby were asking if he had had enough but he just kept walking back in under the spray. And spreading his wings, head flipping and tail wags..
Then he just stopped still, turned around and seemed to take a deep breathe and just sat under the spray, dropped his wings slightly, shut his eyes and let his jaw drop, for about 15 seconds he just sat still, water parting his feathers and running down his neck and back... I absolutely swear you could see the bliss all over his face. I so wish I had a waterproof camera ! ❤️ 🚿
then he opened his eyes, walked over, stepped up ready to go.
Clearly, he has is set pattern and when its time, clearly its time!!
Is it not wonderful that they allow us into their World!!

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hi everyone. I’m just looking for some general advice.
my boy is 6 months old, and seems to be moulting. I know this is normal around this age, but I had a few questions I’m hoping you could help me with. I would love your expertise.
He’s very independently minded ! He loves to chatter along to the hoover, and is often quite sweet but he will nip when he’s not getting his own way and fly to my nape So I can’t reach him, then nip my fingers harder when I reach back for him.. Today he didn’t want to go back in his cage after some flight time and bit quite hard as I put him through the door, then growled as he walked back down his perch. Hes the first bird I’ve had that growls, and he does it a lot; when he’s irritated or disgruntled. (previously Budgies and cockatiel)
re his moult- I’m a little unclear.. is this his big moult or will that be next year ?
He seems very itchy, and very slightly patchy now (which I’m sure isn’t helping his mood) but reluctant to shower unless HE wants to. He usually tries to fit in his water bowl. I have a spray bottle, he avoids.. by usually flying off to my head. I’ve had better luck in the shower, he will hop in and out of the water, from the frame to my head and back, a little but not much.. My head seems to be his safety zone so I think he’s going there to avoid the shower, not get in it.. it’s very hard to wash, clean, dry and leave the shower with a clinging fidgety bird. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have a very tiny amount of experience training and have had some luck training a couple of things with him. So I thought today I’d start trying to train him to sit on the side of a large bowl of water but he seems to have no interest. I really want to make him feel better.
I’m very grateful for your experienced knowledge on the moult and suggestions. The picture is from where he tries to bath in his water bowl.
Hello I did not think Moses was showering enough or safe enough. When it rains and he hears the rain he goes to his water bowl and trys to bathe:))) then i try to take him out on the pool patio and spray bathe him and he seems to like that method:) he often will not leave the cage when he is washing in the water bowl:(
Just recently I said what the heck i took him with me in the shower ;) it worked great he loved it and so did i :) i just bought the shower perch on amazon (it was alot smaller then the picture but i think it will worK:) he gets heavy when he is wet and i am an old guy with shoulder rotator cuff issues:(
The only issue is since we are 2 naked birds in the shower my wife comes to take him out so he can dry off naturally, a few hours later his feathers looked great and shiny:) Good Luck friend

Most Reactions