Egg laying questions pls help!!

mybluebirb

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
one female indian ringneck
Three days ago, like 2am, my indian ringneck parrot laid her first egg (believe me it was a SHOCK) it was unfertilised as she has no mate and I was so worried! Sadly her egg ended up cracking :(

Iā€™m pretty sure she laid the unfertilised egg because of a blanket that she has an attachment to and treats like a nest. Btw the blanket wasnā€™t hers it was actually mine but she jumped on it whenever it fell on the floor so I let her play with it (big mistake) she had this attachment to the blanket for a few months.
I removed and hid the blanket as soon as she had her first egg.

The same day she went to the vet and they said it was normal for a parrot her age and said she was healthy and she may/may not have more eggs

Today, around 1am she had her second unfertilised egg, she took longer to lay the egg this time and I think itā€™s because she didnā€™t have her blanket with her. I gave it to her for about five minutes but took it when I saw she wasnā€™t doing anything and placed her back in her cage. Once again her egg cracked because this time she laid it on her cage door and it fell straight to the floor and brokeā€¦

Iā€™m so sick of this egg laying business itā€™s stressing me out so much
I think sheā€™s still trying to find a nest because she keeps walking on the floor and trying to go in small dark places

I have so many questions

Should I still keep the blanket away from her or give it back to her so she can lay her eggs more comfortably?

If I did give her blanket back would it cause her to have more eggs?

I didnā€™t give her her blanket back so how come she had another egg?

How many more will she have?
Iā€™ve heard they come in clutches of about 3-5 eggs so does that mean sheā€™ll keep laying them until she has completed a clutch?
Iā€™ve bought fake eggs so when she next lays her eggs i will add them to her clutch

Although she lays a healthy egg all in about an hour that consists of her eating, drinking, preparing and then laying the egg, she does experience some egg binding symptoms such as fluffing up, straining, vent winking and slight trembling. Is this normal behaviour for when laying an egg?

Please reply, thank you!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, I would not give your bird access to the blanket as this will encourage her to lay more eggs.
Sometimes parrot may just have one egg in a hormonal fit while other times they have a whole clutch.

Is she showing interest in the eggs even though both have been broken?
Was she trying to sit on them or anything? If she shows no interest Iā€™d remove them and would not give her the dummy eggs.

To help with hormones I recommend eliminating any place she can go thatā€™s dark and nest-like.
Ensure she gets 12 hours of good quiet sleep.
Limit excess sugar/protein/fat in the diet. Do not stop feeding these food groups as they are crucial to all creatures, but donā€™t provide an overabundance of them as in the wild this would signify breeding season.
Limit petting to her head and neck as anywhere else could sexually stimulate her.

OP
mybluebirb

mybluebirb

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
one female indian ringneck
Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, I would not give your bird access to the blanket as this will encourage her to lay more eggs.
Sometimes parrot may just have one egg in a hormonal fit while other times they have a whole clutch.

Is she showing interest in the eggs even though both have been broken?
Was she trying to sit on them or anything? If she shows no interest Iā€™d remove them and would not give her the dummy eggs.

To help with hormones I recommend eliminating any place she can go thatā€™s dark and nest-like.
Ensure she gets 12 hours of good quiet sleep.
Limit excess sugar/protein/fat in the diet. Do not stop feeding these food groups as they are crucial to all creatures, but donā€™t provide an overabundance of them as in the wild this would signify breeding season.
Limit petting to her head and neck as anywhere else could sexually stimulate her.

Thank you for the reply! šŸ˜Š

She didnā€™t show any interest in the eggs although the eggā€™s insides all came out I picked up the shell to show her and she didnā€™t care at all.

Since she had the egg Iā€™m putting her to sleep earlier than usual so she only has about 10 hours of awake time however sometimes that is hard when she chooses to lay her eggs at 2am and I donā€™t want to put her to sleep without making sure sheā€™s safely laid her egg first šŸ«£

Sheā€™s been eating fruits and vegetable like melon and sweetcorn and also an almond/half a peanut (but only as a foraging treat) Iā€™ve noticed she hasnā€™t been eating her pellets that much, the only way sheā€™d eat it is if i made it into a porridge for her but I heard that giving them soft food isnā€™t good as it could encourage egg laying so now Iā€™m not sure what to doā€¦

I havenā€™t been petting her as much and also pick her up and put her on her perch or in her cage as soon as she jumps on the floor to look for dark places to hide in. Also her blanket hasnā€™t been given to her since.

Iā€™ve also ordered calcivet as in another forum someone mentioned it gives the bird the supplements they need and can help with egg binding (which I hope my bird never experiences anyways but itā€™s better to be safe than sorry!)

Most Reactions