Ekkie Girl Sleeping on the Ground?

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
Any idea why my girl would start sleeping on the bottom of the cage? This started last night, she usually sleeps on whichever perch is highest (with this set up is was usually the top left towards the front of the cage), but last night she slept in the shallow box that is usually in the back right corner. I moved the box tonight in hopes that she wouldnā€™t sleep in it again and now she is just on the grate sleeping (back right corner). She is very alert, if I open the door she pops up and climbs to the spot where I bring her out of the cage from. She is behaving normally when awake and her weight is fine. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Attachments

• D3BE689E-6958-46AE-805F-685B53560FB1.png
    D3BE689E-6958-46AE-805F-685B53560FB1.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 89

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!

itā€™s a little challenging, especially with a black and white photo. But a couple things stand out to me:

1. the alertness

2. the BOX

I am not quite sure what you mean by a box, I canā€™t make it out in the photo, but if itā€™s something she goes IN TO, then my very first thought is that this could be an issue of potentially trying to lay eggs. There shouldnā€™t be any sort of box in the cage the bird can enter, please remove it. It can cause hormonal issues and unnecessary egg laying.

hens will often to the bottom of the cage when ready to lay eggs.

start with the basics: how is she eating? How is she pooping?

OP
J

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
Hello and welcome!

itā€™s a little challenging, especially with a black and white photo. But a couple things stand out to me:

1. the alertness

2. the BOX

I am not quite sure what you mean by a box, I canā€™t make it out in the photo, but if itā€™s something she goes IN TO, then my very first thought is that this could be an issue of potentially trying to lay eggs. There shouldnā€™t be any sort of box in the cage the bird can enter, please remove it. It can cause hormonal issues and unnecessary egg laying.

hens will often to the bottom of the cage when ready to lay eggs.

start with the basics: how is she eating? How is she pooping?
Itā€™s black and white because itā€™s night vision on a pet cam. Itā€™s a screenshot to show her sleeping on the bottoms because I canā€™t go in the room without her popping up and climbing to a perch.
The box is like the kind that youā€™d put canned goods in, the walls are no more than two inches high. I was using it as a foraging box. Is that kind of box still triggering for hormones. Iā€™ll attach the pic again with the box circled in red and my girl in blue.
Eating and pooping normally, as started before she is acting completely normal aside from sleeping on the ground.

Attachments

• 2555ADCA-88B3-4AC8-9173-190B06375AF5.jpeg
    2555ADCA-88B3-4AC8-9173-190B06375AF5.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 94

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Ok, so itā€™s not like nesting box. Good to know. And I love that you have something like thatšŸ˜

my recommendation is vigilance for the next 24-36 hours. The ONLY reason I can think of for an otherwise vigilant and healthy hen to actively seek the bottom is because sheā€™s about to lay an egg.

the problem is, and you may know this, with parrots they hide their illnesses well until itā€™s almost too late. If things donā€™t change soon, youā€™ll want to make an appointment with an emergency avian certified vet, because there could be either egg binding issues, or something else unrelated but far more serious going on.

but your biggest immediate signals will always be whether sheā€™s eating and pooping. If she stops eating especially, thatā€™s your sign something is especially wrong.

Most Reactions