Ekkie Medical Issues

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico’s nostrils are doing better. There isn’t a wheezing, or whistling sound coming from them anymore. He doesn’t appear to be picking at his nostrils, or rubbing them on things anymore. He is still losing feathers around his nostrils. Has anyone else came across feather loss around the nostrils, or eyes of their Ekkie? I attached photos. No Nico isn’t hurting me, or biting me. I’m holding his beak to take photos. I needed to take them to send to his vet.
E05769BB-75E5-4783-8C82-08C5717F4D61.jpeg
DC1B2E5E-B186-4A89-BE87-1BA16EA2B6C8.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Feather loss around nostrils or eyes? I would wonder if the bird is either rubbing his “nose area” or maybe having irritating discharge?

I don’t have an ekkie but that’s my guess. That something is really irritating.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Maybe he still has inflammation in the sinus even though his nostrils are clear? Everything I've learned so far about sinus issues (Cotton definitely has something still going on) seems to indicate they can be tricky to get rid of.

Do you think he's losing feathers still, or have they just not grown back yet?

I think he's so flipping cute.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The big ol’ candy corn beak is awfully cute. I would just hold it and smooch the big beak if Nico was here.

Cottonoid has a good idea. I learned that if your bird (or other animal, or small child) picks at an area, it is because it hurts or feels funny. I get sinus headaches and find myself rubbing the bridge of my nose. Wonder if that’s what’s happening for him.

P.s. maybe there’s a delay in the feather loss? For example, if it takes a bit for those little contour feathers to loosen up and come out?

Last edited:
OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
He is losing more feathers around his nostrils. I don't see him picking at his nostrils like he was before his nasal drops. He could still be rubbing it against his cage bars at night when he's supposed to be sleeping. I do run a roomba everyday, and vacuum once a week. I have 2 dogs, and 2 birds so the roomba's are kind of necessary. I am not sure if parrots can have allergies, or not. It so strange because I've had my conure for 10+ years. She's never had any medical issues. She is very healthy (I'm knocking on wood). Then I adopted Nico, and he's been a whole bag of medical issues. He's so sensitive in comparison to my conure, but they are both birds.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If he’s immune compromised from the bornavirus, Nico could always have a little swelling and irritation in one of the many sinuses in his head.

I get frequent colds and terrible headaches from sinus problems. My dr tells me to do sinus washes. Nico looks quite permissive—woukd he let you do a sinus rinse with saline if your vet thought it was as good idea and showed you how? Or use a nebulizer box to treat his sinus issues?

I am always told to do sinus rinses but I hate them and can’t stand to. They say they actually wash out the pollen and dust that is so irritating to many people.

Poor Nico. Some people and birds just catch many bugs. It’s not anything you are doing, I am sure.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Sense I moved here back in February I've been wondering if there is just too much humidity in our upstairs where Nico's nighttime/relaxation cage is. Our previous house was a basic split, and was very open where there would be a lot of air exchange. In the new house the upstairs is completely seperate. I have a dehumidifier in our basement, and also on our top floor which I've never had to do before. My clothes were even getting damp in my closet. I've wondered if Nico's cage with it being so humid is harboring bacteria? It's hard to leave Nico's door open with the dehumidifier running. It makes Nico angry, and he screams at it if he can see it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts