Eclectus Diet Question

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there everyone,

I came across a parrot store while I was out in Mesa, AZ. They sold some food products for parrots that I’ve never seen before. I was going to kindly ask people on here to review some of the products on this website I’ll post below to see if anyone has concerns for an Ekkie with these products. It would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested in the feather plucking spray as well if anyone has any education on them. During Nico’s molting he can be a little sensitive of his feathers growing in. It would be nice to find something that may help that process.

Nico can be a bit challenging when it comes to his diet. He’s a bowl flipper, or fresh food flinger if he doesn’t like what’s being offered.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi there everyone,

I came across a parrot store while I was out in Mesa, AZ. They sold some food products for parrots that I’ve never seen before. I was going to kindly ask people on here to review some of the products on this website I’ll post below to see if anyone has concerns for an Ekkie with these products. It would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested in the feather plucking spray as well if anyone has any education on them. During Nico’s molting he can be a little sensitive of his feathers growing in. It would be nice to find something that may help that process.

Nico can be a bit challenging when it comes to his diet. He’s a bowl flipper, or fresh food flinger if he doesn’t like what’s being offered.

Naughty Nico, flipping bowls, flinging food, thats normal parrot behaviour, but sadly he plucks his beautiful feathers. Stop it Nico STOP. Makes me so sad to see any bird plucking 😔

You mentioned feather plucking spray. I was speaking to someone recently that used some kind of treatment that makes their feathers taste bad and stops them from plucking. I think its a spray. I hope you give this product a chance and that it works.

There are also collars you can get to stop birds from plucking. Have you tried them?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Christine’s chop shop is reputable. Though their participation in C4AW makes me avoid them. Though Since I make my own chop, I pay them no mind to begin with.

For spray, here’s what I’ll say: they’re already putting too much attention on their feathers. They’re also more sensitive about their feathers than other parrot species. Therefore, the answer to your problem will never be “let’s put something else foreign on the feathers that could draw their attention even more”.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Naughty Nico, flipping bowls, flinging food, thats normal parrot behaviour, but sadly he plucks his beautiful feathers. Stop it Nico STOP. Makes me so sad to see any bird plucking 😔

You mentioned feather plucking spray. I was speaking to someone recently that used some kind of treatment that makes their feathers taste bad and stops them from plucking. I think its a spray. I hope you give this product a chance and that it works.

There are also collars you can get to stop birds from plucking. Have you tried them?
Yes, I make Nico collars. It’s a last resort. Right now I have it on him a bit more than usual because we are having our house resided, and loud noises usually will make Nico rip out feathers more. It’s just for prevention if I know a trigger is going to take place.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes, I make Nico collars. It’s a last resort. Right now I have it on him a bit more than usual because we are having our house resided, and loud noises usually will make Nico rip out feathers more. It’s just for prevention if I know a trigger is going to take place.
Try the spray

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Try the spray
It’s challenging because if that spray is sticky, or it “looks” different to Nico I can take a situation, and make it worse. I’ll leave out the graphic details but aloe for an example didn’t help Nico. It actually did the opposite. These sprays on this website I posted above are essential oils. It doesn’t exactly say what’s in them unless I missed something. Aloe for an example I could visibly see that it coated Nico’s feathers. His feathers had a greasy look to them to my eye. Nico’s eye sight is more superior than mine. He noticed the changes in his feathers, and decided to intervene in a way that was not beneficial to himself.

Last edited:

Most Reactions