Elvira's First Day Home (was handfed)

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Turquoise Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Moon Cheek -- Green Cheek Conure
New to the board but not new to conures.

Backstory:
Today is Elvira's first day in her new home with me. She already has a mind of her own and lets you know she doesn't want something (not by pinching tho). I'm already surprised by how different she is from my previous Green Cheek in becoming acclimated so quickly to a very new environment. She's already learned to drink from the water bottle (have cup on cage full of water) and is already eating entire (long) meals out of my hand, outside of the cage.

Question:
She prefers to be outside of the cages and on someone as I've seen her act both here and at the breeder's place. Is this a personality trait and/or an indication of a conure being handfed?

Question:
Do conures have individual eating habits as in some are huge pigs and others are picky eaters that don't eat much? She eats SO much and is a huge pig about it! Not at all like my previous conure that I had years ago, who was also handfed as well.

Thanks so much for putting up with another new member's "same old, same old" questions!!

Be Well,
Tom

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Congrats on your new conure!!

To answer your questions

Question #1
Green cheeks, especially if handfed will be clingy, but even GCC that aren't handfed can be that way too. Of course every bird is different, some prefer more solitude than others. My GCC Tom was handfed and he can be a real cuddler and want to be on my shoulder or right near me but when he wants some space he flies away to go play with the budgies or by himself.

Question #2
Being a pig is normal! Lol! My GCC is a real glutton sometimes, then other times he's like 'Ew food' His weight is a reflection of his gluttony though, he sits at the heavier side of healthy weight at 72-73g in the morning.

Hope this helps 😊

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Always recommend weighing a new bird. And following closely first couple of weeks. As most eat less at first in a new home.

It could be she just having a growth spurt or preparing to molt . Or for some reason just wasn't getting enough before.
But it's always great if they are good eaters when just come home.

A well socialized young bird, usually wants to be with you. Especially as everything else is new and they want to firm a bond with their new flock.

Congratulations!

Pictures?

OP
Elviraion

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Thanks for your input, Laurasea! Here’s the eye Candy you asked for. That was the travel cage and I was using “carry over” food from her breeder that had most of her favorites in it. I thought it would take her awhile to approach, climb on and take over, but I was wrong. This girl likes adventure!!!
CD4917CC-7673-4D4C-B651-48974B6EC9A2.jpeg

Attachments

• C2A7FCF0-A326-4479-B021-53FE1EC31D34.jpeg
    C2A7FCF0-A326-4479-B021-53FE1EC31D34.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 57

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Beautiful girl, beautiful travel Cage, beautiful veggies!!!!!

I'm so happy for you! Make her part if your family and spend as much time together as you can. Birds aren't ment to be alone.

Inside, in home only flight recall training. As young ones are all about flying to you. So use a phrase and hand jestuure and reward it. This is the easiest time to train recall ( inside! Outside to much dangers risks) as just weaned babies are programed to follow patterns around and learn from them .

Make signs to put by all outside doors. To remind you to check that parrot is caged and safe and not on your shoulders. Hang a beaded curtain In front of exits if can , or in the doorway if you use a bird room. To help prevent escapes.

OP
Elviraion

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Beautiful girl, beautiful travel Cage, beautiful veggies!!!!!

I'm so happy for you! Make her part if your family and spend as much time together as you can. Birds aren't ment to be alone.

Inside, in home only flight recall training. As young ones are all about flying to you. So use a phrase and hand jestuure and reward it. This is the easiest time to train recall ( inside! Outside to much dangers risks) as just weaned babies are programed to follow patterns around and learn from them .

Make signs to put by all outside doors. To remind you to check that parrot is caged and safe and not on your shoulders. Hang a beaded curtain In front of exits if can , or in the doorway if you use a bird room. To help prevent escapes.
Laurasea:
Thank you so much for your awesome tips and suggestions.

I've actually already printed and laminated "Bird is OUTSIDE of Cage" signs to be posted on all entryway/exit doors in the house. This applies to both doors to rooms as well as doors that lead into/outside of the house. BTW, canva.com is an excellent resource to use when making signs like these; EASY PEASY! (I'll include the one I made at the end of this response).

Elvira's cage is in the living room in the hub of all the family activity and at night she sleeps in her "bedroom cage" in my room.
BIRD IS OUTSIDE Of Cage_PNG.png

Most Reactions

Latest posts