May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My new budgie, Apollo, seems to have trauma regarding water, and hasn't had more than a single drop for 2 and a half days (I'm home all day and watch him), despite being offered all sorts of waters, juices, and Pedialyte in many different vessels. He is genuinely terrified of water, despite having fully settled in. He is not afraid of me or the other birds, in fact he takes millet and steps up!

The vet can't get to us until next week, and by then it would be too late. At this point, I have to towel him and give him Pedialyte, he's super dehydrated and only has the energy to sleep and explore a bit. Any tips?

D

Deleted member 42416

My new budgie, Apollo, seems to have trauma regarding water, and hasn't had more than a single drop for 2 and a half days (I'm home all day and watch him), despite being offered all sorts of waters, juices, and Pedialyte in many different vessels. He is genuinely terrified of water, despite having fully settled in. He is not afraid of me or the other birds, in fact he takes millet and steps up!

The vet can't get to us until next week, and by then it would be too late. At this point, I have to towel him and give him Pedialyte, he's super dehydrated and only has the energy to sleep. Any tips?
Oh Ollie, the risk of aspiration is high when forcing fluids. Offer the tip of the syringe to his beak when toweled but if he does not voluntarily drink, don’t force it. Have a shallow dish nearby for warm bath, just dunking his lower end in will get him wet and he should have the subsequent need to preen. Just ingesting the moisture from those wet feathers should help.

After, he needs to dry alone in his cage with food and water in a dimly lit room with no other birds. Give him his space as well and observe from a distance.

I wish you both well!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Oh Ollie, the risk of aspiration is high when forcing fluids. Offer the tip of the syringe to his beak when toweled but if he does not voluntarily drink, don’t force it. Have a shallow dish nearby for warm bath, just dunking his lower end in will get him wet and he should have the subsequent need to preen. Just ingesting the moisture from those wet feathers should help.

After, he needs to dry alone in his cage with food and water in a dimly lit room with no other birds. Give him his space as well and observe from a distance.

I wish you both well!
Yeah, sorry, I'm desperate...
I really hope that works.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can you show a picture of his poop?
What did the water dispenser look like at the pet store? Can you offer how they did?
I agree don't syringe water , big aspirations hazard.
You can offer applesauce.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Can you show a picture of his poop
Sure, he poops maybe 10 times a day. Trust me when I say this, it is very small and dry.
IMG_20220226_162208.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Looks normal, tho hard to tell size. The good thing is urate is present and normal white color.

And is eating ok?

But weak and sleeping a lot?
Warmth is always helpful.

You could get baby bird formula and mix and use. This is much safer than water. With benefits of calories. Probably just 1-2 ml once daily to twice daily. Would more than enough provide his water needs plus some added calories

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Looks normal, tho hard to tell size. The good thing is urate is present and normal white color.

And is eating ok?

But weak and sleeping a lot?
Wsrmth is always helpful
He's eating ok, and yes, weak and sleeping a lot.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I was thinking about you and Apollo when I woke up this morning and am sending you both and the rest of your flock lots of love today!

I've been lurking here for a couple months and one thing that's super obvious is how dedicated you are to caring for all your pets, and how generous you are with your support for others! I'm really glad I've found such a loving birdy family here!

P.S. you can be my honorary human kiddo anytime 😁

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Stormy, will he eat fruit? Fruit has a lot of moisture and it would help keep him hydrated.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Leaf lettuce has a lot of water in it as well. You could do a good rinse so that the leaf is soaked and he would get some as he nibbles. Sending healing wishes to Apollo.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I was thinking about you and Apollo when I woke up this morning and am sending you both and the rest of your flock lots of love today!

I've been lurking here for a couple months and one thing that's super obvious is how dedicated you are to caring for all your pets, and how generous you are with your support for others! I'm really glad I've found such a loving birdy family here!

P.S. you can be my honorary human kiddo anytime 😁
Lol, honorary human kiddo - might have to accept that (never mind, definitely accepting that)!!!
Apollo is getting more active and we've bought him multiple different feeders to see what he likes to drink out of! He seems to be settling in, and I'm reducing any anxiety he might have to the best of my ability.

Stormy, will he eat fruit? Fruit has a lot of moisture and it would help keep him hydrated.
I'll try to give fruit, but he was weaned on to seed do that might be hard. I know he hates pineapple, but I'm not sure about anything else. Good idea!

I keep waiting for the update on Apollo. Hoping its good news
He's still not drinking. He sleeps a lot but seems less anxious and is fitting in with the flock, so I'm hoping he'll start drinking soon. I'll also try offering foods higher in water, and see how he does.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So...
I got him one of those silo feeders to see if he'd like that better and... still no. He does find it less threatening, though, and I am putting bowls of Pedialyte on every surface I can find, hoping I can entice him to drink. Sometimes my other budgies take a sip, is that ok?

Thankfully, he still has a bit of urine during his morning poop, which I'm crediting to the pineapple juice drop I gave him 2 days ago.

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Since he are some chop I think that would take care of moisture needs.

I really don't think toweling is necessary . Members have shared some great ways to get moisture to him with foods, or misting.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yup, I'm not toweling him.
Ok, heres a really weird thing I discovered...don't think I'm crazy, ok?
He kinda has to relearn how to drink....
Like, I'm training him to drink.
It's kinda crazy, but I'm doing daily training with him, and he drank a tiny drop on his own!
I purchased the water feeders he's had his whole life, but for some reason, I still have to teach him to use them...
Oh well, he's making progress!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yup, I'm not toweling him.
Ok, heres a really weird thing I discovered...don't think I'm crazy, ok?
He kinda has to relearn how to drink....
Like, I'm training him to drink.
It's kinda crazy, but I'm doing daily training with him, and he drank a tiny drop on his own!
I purchased the water feeders he's had his whole life, but for some reason, I still have to teach him to use them...
Oh well, he's making progress!
Budgies are from very dry regions and can get much of their water needs through their food. I have worried about water intake in the past but tomatoes, fruit, etc can be quite wet and give lots of water. I am supposing that you have tried a water bottle?

Most Reactions

Latest posts