Escaped

Bewman72

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
My 2 year old GCC escaped from our home yesterday evening. He's still in the yard (I'm watching him closely). Any suggestions how I can lure him home?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Set the cage out, door open, in an open area with food and water, if he is recall trained, try to call him. If he doesn’t come down, use any noise he loves. If that doesn’t work, try and use his favorite treats to lure him back. If that doesn’t work, wait for him to return to his cage. The bigger the cage, the better chance he has of seeing it. But Remember, they have incredible eyesight so they will be able to spot their cage, see you. If he flies off, FOLLOW HIM but do NOT yell, do not chase, do not panic, just follow and DO NOT take your eyes off him.

Depending on where you are, he may be able survive a few days or only a few hours. If it is snowy and cold, he may not have much time. If it is windy, I would advise against recalling against the wind. Recall with the wind (as in the direction it is blowing) so he can get down easier to you and fly with the wind. If your area has many predators, that heightens his risk of getting scared and flying away because he will always see them before you. Be mindful of this.

If he is clipped, see if you can use a ladder to go into a tree to get him, but be mindful that he can still fly. A fall, depending on how the clip was done can go VERY wrong. Have him step up and then bring him to your chest and hold him there until you can get him in his cage.

This is a dangerous situation. Good luck.

Solanyx

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
female Sun Conure
Everything Rico_Tiel said is accurate and helpful. I just wanted to say that both of my birds have escaped once and I have gotten them back.

Even with a flighted bird if they are newly flighted or young I would still suggest using a ladder and climbing up to recall. I did this with both birds because newly flighted and young birds may have trouble understanding how to descend so getting as close to them as possible will help them reach you.

Good luck and I'm sure you're baby will be just fine. I had to leave my Sun Conure outside overnight because we lost her at night and she stopped doing contact calls after awhile (I think she was just exhausted and found a perch to sleep) and we couldn't see her so we had to wait until dawn. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.

Stay patient and keep aware of where he is and with time he will get hungry and try to come down.

Most Reactions