eva and walle

2budgies

Jan 1, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
blue/white and white/grey parakeets
We have just bought two parakeets (budgies) and we were wondering how to get them adjusted properly. Eva is far more skiddish then Walle and we are finding it hard to make any progress. I have read that seperating them to have solo bonding time would help? And insite that could be shared would be very helpful! i don't want to panic them or make them more uncomfortable.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
dont separate them if they have been together it will make them more scared just give it time birds need at least a week before they become adjusted to their new home and you as their new parent dont try to hold them for a couple of days just talk to them softly and sit by their cage give them time to adjust they will be skittish at first and these birds are naturally more flighty/skittish than most birds anyway.

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Beemo, Sun Conure - Charlie, Lovebird - Benny, Zsa Zsa - Cockatiel, Poot - Red Vented Bulbul
Love the names! Where they already bonded when you got them? If not, from my experience I would seperate them if possible. They will become bonded and most likely will not have any interest in you and will be that much harder to train/tame.

Too funny, I named my female Eva and almost named the male Wall-e but I had already picked out the name Buddy for him.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Rather bonded or not separating them is probably your only way to work with them.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Feed them by hand and allow them to learn to trust you on their own terms. Monkey see, monkey do. They can learn from each other, and learn, in time, to trust you as well.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Monica,

Yes Monkey see Monkey do!!!! They do follow BUT sometimes even when they come to you for treats, it does not mean your able to train them when they're all on you. It can be done, but working with a single bird is actually easier then multiple cause if one freaks out, the others follow too!

OP
2budgies

2budgies

Jan 1, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
blue/white and white/grey parakeets
lol the names took a minute but thanks! and no they were NOT a bonded pair when we bought them.... that we know of anyway. We picked them from the same cage but they shared it with 3 other birds. We did end up seperating them during bonding/training time( they each get the same amount of time just not together) we found that Walle was MUCH more interested in us then Eva and if she was around he was more worried about her and we couldn't get him more then a foot away from her lol. So we started seperate time then we put them together in the room we set aside for bonding and training.... they do ALOT better when they can't see the cage.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Although yes, if one freaks out, they all might, I've actually found the birds much more willing to come back if at least one of them is comfortable coming to me.

Even though its easier to work with a single clipped bird than it is to work with two flighted birds together, I honestly don't find it that much more difficult doing so as long as you stick with positive interactions and allowing the birds the choice. Yes, it requires "work" figuring out ways to work with a terrified bird that wont hold still, but IMO, it's better than forcing a bird to be with you simply because they can't get away.

To each their own, of course.

2budgies, birds often do better away from their cage because you take them away from the only secure place they know and to an area where they feel insecure and vulnerable. I've come to learn that sometimes it's best working with birds in their comfort zone rather than out of it, because if you work with them out of their comfort zone, you may have training issues while back in their comfort zone. If you work with them in their comfort zone first, they may respond better once out of their comfort zone, after they are already comfortable with you.

I used to train in that matter, but have since changed how I work with my birds. I don't know if you'd be interested in trying different ways to work with them, but I hope you are able to earn their trust and they become excellent companions!

Most Reactions

Latest posts