Exotic pets need to be handled right!?

Akuma223

Jan 27, 2013
North Florida
Parrots
1 white and grey parakeet, and a pinapple GCC as of 7/27/2018
Okay, so in my animal science class I have been working with our cockatoo smiley. She can be very moody and loud, so most people dont go near her. There are a few people including me who do interact with her on a daily basis. We talk to her, pet her, and hold her. Now last week she bit someone who holds her very often pretty bad. The girl had a big gash on her arm apparently, passed out and broke a tooth. Now noone is allowed to hold her, or touch her. She's dangerous apparently. Now what I'm wondering, since I am sure there are many owners here who have worked with Cockatoos for years, is if you are not consistant with handeling and interaction the bird will become aggressive yes? This is how it is for any animal and I assume its the same for birds. I keep talking to my teacher about my concerns and her awnswer was "birds arent held in the wild, they dont need to be held. Thats true for wild birds. Smiley isnt a wild bird. She isnt in the wild, we dont want her to be wild. We want her to be happy and tame! But we will get in trouble if we take her out of her cage! What the heck do I do?

Also, she does not seem stressed when we hold her. She is stressed the most when someone she doesnt like is around, and we tell them to leave.

Well this is a hard one to take on. Parrots do need interaction and stimulation, they do not need to be held but some really do enjoy it. Yet they are still wild and not domesticated creatures, this means they will bite. Cockatoos are especially bad for this and they will bite owners that have had them for years.
Your teachers concern about others not get bitten is valid as it is belief that only experienced owners should handle cockatoos.

What do you do? Well keep talking to her and if your allowed give her toys that stimulate her and work with your teacher on an acceptable solution, start there.

Now last week she bit someone who holds her very often pretty bad. The girl had a big gash on her arm apparently, passed out and broke a tooth. Now noone is allowed to hold her, or touch her.

Unfortunately the school has to protect themselves. After the incident which occurred last week, there may be legal matters now.

It's a pity for the cockatoo. :(

I understand her concern about students getting hurt, I do. If students keep getting hurt than obviously Smiley will be removed. My problem is that Smiley seems to really enjoy being held. We have been holding her all year and for us to just suddenly stop is probably not good for her. My teachers reaction to this problem is wrong. She is not using logic in dealing wtih her at all. Smiley does not have any toys practically! She has a rope toy, and we give her a box now and again. I'm sure that she relies on our interaction with her to keep her amused and happy.

Another problem is some of the other students like to antagonize her. She will scream and they will scream back. If she is on the floor sometimes she would attack your leg and people didnt try to prevent this. They made it seem like it is okay behaviour. When she tried to attack my leg, I got down to eye level with her pointed my finger at her and said "No!" sternly. And she stoped, than I picked her up, pet her and put her away.

Perhaps this is not the best environment for Smiley, is it possible to find her a more stable home?

I agree, a school is no place for a cockatoo to live! Does Smiley belong to the school or she is the teachers pet that he/she brings to school daily?

The teacher should have a liability form, anyone who wishes to interact with the cockatoo and knows the risk must sign it.

Reading this i was thinking the exact same thing.... they set this bird up for a horrible path. he shouldnt live in the school, maybe a visit from expirenced handlers with birds would be better for the class then having a full time bird. I take my guys out constantly to vet classes or classes like yours so they can expirence them.

I am slightly disappointed an animal science class didnt do there research and understand what they were getting into and get certain legal measures addressed first because now the animal must pay the price of an uneducated action by a human, which is wrong.

The teacher should have a liability form, anyone who wishes to interact with the cockatoo and knows the risk must sign it.

I agree, that would be logical. The thing is I honestly think the environment would be okay if my teacher would put more effort in and take percations. Smiley is a re-home like all of our birds we took them in when others didn't want her. Apparently she has owned cockatoos before :/ I have become attached to her and would take her in myself if my parents allowed it. Knowing her however she would try and charge me ha!

I am not a very experienced Too owner, we have had ours for going on about 10 months. But i will definitely disagree with the handling comment. Our bird loves to be petted, He will sit in my wife's or my lap for hours if he could. And when i work a long shift and get home, he stays with me pretty much the rest of the day.

So the teacher owns Smiley and some other parrots and the school allows her to keep them in the animal science classroom?

I agree with everything everyone has already said. It is also a bit sad that Cockatoos can be a bit aggressive without warning sometimes and that their bite can be so nasty. this is one of the risks in owning a large parrot. Having said that I get more nasty bites from my crimson Rosella than my Galah which just never bites with any force or any intention to harm.

Is this a high school or college class? I'm surprised a bird is allowed into class. Especially a loud and needy cockatoo!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back