Experienced Help needed...

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello community:
I am desperate for help with my 4 month old CAG. The breeder assured me that she was weaned but she's not.
I give her fruit and vegetables in the AM and pellets in the PM. She refuses to eat the pellets. I've tried RoudyBush,
Kaytee. The only thing she wants is the HARI baby formula. My husband said to just wait her out but it's hard to
see her hungry. I truly need advice from someone who knows, the best course of action. We are both miserable
and aggravated. I thank you in advance.

N.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
You’ve likely experienced weaning reversion, which can happen when a chick is brought to a new home. Do not wait her out, the best thing you can do is give the formula. Try offering 2 per day, and let her set the pace from there. If she begins rejecting one feeding them take it down to once a day.

Believe it or not, these feedings are more about supporting psychological development, making her feel comfortable. She’ll probably begin rejecting the feedings in a couple weeks when she starts feeling a bit more comfortable.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello community:
I am desperate for help with my 4 month old CAG. The breeder assured me that she was weaned but she's not.
I give her fruit and vegetables in the AM and pellets in the PM. She refuses to eat the pellets. I've tried RoudyBush,
Kaytee. The only thing she wants is the HARI baby formula. My husband said to just wait her out but it's hard to
see her hungry. I truly need advice from someone who knows, the best course of action. We are both miserable
and aggravated. I thank you in advance.

N.
She will starve if she doesn't eat. Please feed her. Weaning is a process that can take weeks and should NEVER be forced.

OP
N

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
You’ve likely experienced weaning reversion, which can happen when a chick is brought to a new home. Do not wait her out, the best thing you can do is give the formula. Try offering 2 per day, and let her set the pace from there. If she begins rejecting one feeding them take it down to once a day.

Believe it or not, these feedings are more about supporting psychological development, making her feel comfortable. She’ll probably begin rejecting the feedings in a couple weeks when she starts feeling a bit more comfortable.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
100% correct, Navy. She should be fed formula, by spoon until she starts to reject the feedings. Follow the instruction on the can, esp the temperature!

In fact we give our 7 yr old Amazon some formula once in a while still. Its very useful if you need to get meds into your parrot.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Agreed. Baby bird formula. Remember to test for hot spots. If the formula is too hot you can burn the crop. Bent spoon if you don't know how to hand feed. I have also used a squeeze bottle like the plastic things they use for ketchup... and just let it dribble out. Don't squeeze it, but again, if you don't know what you're doing, bent spoon is best.

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon. Born 4-2-19
Aim for 105 degrees . Please give her the formula and you may find that she will probably begin eating her own chop and pellets afterwards. My baby CAG is 4 1/2 months old and I still give her morning and evening formula. I GIVE it to her before her breakfast and she just takes a little and then begins to eat her chop. I give her the formula at night and it helps her to be full and sleep well . It’s called abundance weaning and she will stop when she’s ready. Ask her breeder what formula she was fed with and use the same .

Most Reactions