Extravagant or responsible?

Firethorn

Aug 25, 2015
My Mother constantly complains that my expenditures for my companion animals is way over the top. I happen to think getting my animals checked out by a vet every 60 days is just being very responsible owner. Where does it change from enough into too much? My old boss (a vet) always says an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. How do you overcome the momlogic when it comes to pets? They know how to push your buttons 'cause their the ones who installed them. :p

I would say that is overkill. Once a year is standard if you know the signs of illness, twice a year is extra great. Any more than that and I would say you are actually doing more harm than good by exposing your pets to the illnesses in a vet clinic as well as the stress of the visit.

I am a paranoid bird owner, I literally have nightmares about my birds dying. I also know that I have an anxiety disorder that contributes to my paranoia. It might be wise for you to examine your reasons for needing to take your pets in so often. For me personally, learning everything I can about avian health, medicin, nutrition, etc, helps me know my birds are doing well.

Here are some things you can do to help you feel confident you are in the drivers seat of your birds health. Most of these I do myself.

Weigh each bird weekly and keep a record. Weight loss is often the first sign of illness and is easy to miss. I bought a gram scale at Walmart for around $20. Easy and about the most overlooked health precaution in my opinion.

Weekly examin the eyes, nares, and ears of each bird. Know what you are looking for. Check for visible signs of mites or skin irritation.

Keep a food journal for your bird, and keep a sharp eye on the poop. Learn what foods make the poop look different, so you will know if something actually looks off. For example I have a bird who pigs out on watermelon and then has watery droppings for several hours afterwards, totally normal. But if she starts having watery droppings in a day she has had only pellets... Sign of trouble.

Avian biotech has some great blood and swab tests that are quite affordable and provide a wide range of diagnostics. I test my flock for polyoma, pbfd, and psittacosis every 6 months.

Deworm your flock once a year if they live outside.

Find a vet that will let you bring droppings in for gram stains or fecal floats if they have your bird on file. That provides you access to the tests without subjecting your bird to the stress.

Be obsessed with the species specific nutritional needs of your bird. Know what nutrients they need during which times of the year, their natural diet, etc. go all out. Learn what they need to thrive and give it to them. Include things for their health that might seem extravagant like fresh organic produce, etc. focus on preventative health care. What I mean is, do the actual prevention by making sure they have access to the things to keep them healthiest, not just by taking them in often to catch problems early. Think about a human. If a human had two options for health, which would be best? Eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, good excercise, good hydration, low stress, etc, or simply doing whatever they want but going to the doctor often? Best to support the health rather than searching for health problems :)

I agree with Silversage. I took Gollum to the vet when I first got her. She needs her nails trimmed now and I am DREADING taking her to the vet to get them trimmed because I could be exposing her to who knows what. I feel the same way about my children and the pediatrician. I hate well visits. Because I am exposing my children to everything going around in our community at the time. Since there are no vaccines for birds, that makes it even more scary.
Avian biotech sends you what you need to send in samples for free. I had them send that to me for Gollum because the vet wanted 600 bucks for a full work up. Although, I admit I have not collected the blood... because I am a wuss and I am afraid I am going to really hurt her.
Anyhow, once a year is plenty if your bird is not sick. If it makes you feel better, you can send in the samples to avian biotech in between.

I agree with Silversage. I took Gollum to the vet when I first got her. She needs her nails trimmed now and I am DREADING taking her to the vet to get them trimmed because I could be exposing her to who knows what. I feel the same way about my children and the pediatrician. I hate well visits. Because I am exposing my children to everything going around in our community at the time. Since there are no vaccines for birds, that makes it even more scary.
Avian biotech sends you what you need to send in samples for free. I had them send that to me for Gollum because the vet wanted 600 bucks for a full work up. Although, I admit I have not collected the blood... because I am a wuss and I am afraid I am going to really hurt her.
Anyhow, once a year is plenty if your bird is not sick. If it makes you feel better, you can send in the samples to avian biotech in between.

Why not kill 2 flies with one stone, Newbsi? Trim Gollum's nails yourself and have the blood sample sheet ready 'in case' you trim one too short? :D Then you can send in the blood. But if you just 'tip off' the nails, I'm fairly sure you won't be drawing any blood. There's nothing to it. It's all part of being a parront. Heck, you don't take your kids to the pediatrician to get their nails cut, do ya? :54:

Why not kill 2 flies with one stone, Newbsi? Trim Gollum's nails yourself and have the blood sample sheet ready 'in case' you trim one too short? :D Then you can send in the blood. But if you just 'tip off' the nails, I'm fairly sure you won't be drawing any blood. There's nothing to it. It's all part of being a parront. Heck, you don't take your kids to the pediatrician to get their nails cut, do ya? :54:

LOL THAT Cracked me up

I actually practiced on the dogs. They are a lot calmer. Next will be BB .

I did that twice. I got all the stuff out from Avian biotech and had it ready. Got the towel, the clippers. Wrapped her and then realized I cannot hold her and her foot still at the same time. The second time I had my husband hold her and when I went to squeeze the clippers she SCREAMED like I have never heard her scream! I thought OMG was I cutting it too low??!?!?! It scared me. Her nails are black so I cannot see the quick and I do not know how different they are from dog or cat nails. Maybe the quick is closer to the tip. I was thinking that maybe when I go to see or get the IRN, I could ask the breeder if I could bring Gollum so she could show me how to do it. How far to go etc. I cut our two pound chis nails all the time but his nails are clear and I can easily see the quick

Way overkill.

I have mine well birdied once every two years, with a complete blood panel done. We have an established base line, so the vet can check them against present numbers and see what's changed.

Now, if something appears to be wrong with them, it's off to the vet THAT DAY.

But, if they're fed well, and cared for properly, then why do I need a vet to tell me that they're healthy every other day?

I know that just by looking at them.

Our home is a "home for life" for the rehomed Amazons that come into our life. With great commonality, our zon's are older and/or sicker than what most others are dealing with. Therefore we see our Vets every 90 days and after the first two quarters with full spectrum blood screens, we settle into a 5 quarter for the repeat of full spectrum blood screen. This results in a shifting through-out a year cycle i.e. a look at natural variations that can occur during different parts of the year (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall). With very sick Amazons, we shift to every 3rd quarter with visits every 30 days.

We also, work with two separate Vet groups, which have agreed to share files. In side of each group, we work with each of the Avian or Avian qualified Vets. Sadly, even with two separate Vet groups, we are still only talking about three seasoned Vets. This all for not 'IF' but "WHEN' we are rushing in with a very sick Amazon.

We know how to clip nails. With some we clipped nails with others the Vet will clip nails. Especially, those with heart/lung problems.

Is every 60 days overkill? With healthy parrots, yes! Look at every six months for a quick check-up and a full check-up once a year. Most Vet groups will have their Vet techs complete nail trimming for their 'regular' customers, which will reduce your cost.

Soap Box Time: The primary reason there is a shortage of Avian and Avian qualified Vets is the combination of the upfront cost of the training and the lack of individuals that 'regularly' Vet their Avian friends. We are down to just a couple Colleges that even offer an Avian component to their studies. This is also true for the number of Avian Researcher. The Avian Community is not required by State Government to Vet check their Birds as is required by the majority of States for Dogs an Cats. So it is incumbent on each of us to regularly visit and by doing so, support our Avian Vet community.

Last edited:
Agreed on that! It frustrates me that these animals which need such specialized care and who hide their illnesses so well are not being regularly vetted in most homes. I get even more upset when k see people giving advice like "wait and see how he is in the morning" when a bird shows signs of illness. In the past six months I have been unlucky enough to have to rush to the vet with birds who werebarely showing any symptoms, once with one bird and once with two. The first bird died on the table, the last two pulled through by the skin of their teeth. They need regular checks, and there is no "wait and see" in again medicine.

wow every 60 days....yup, much overkill in my opinion.

1 year for my pets.

Everyone has their standards, also every pet is different. We have one dog that need more checkups due to health issues, and a cat that almost never goes in.

I am a paranoid bird owner, I literally have nightmares about my birds dying. I also know that I have an anxiety disorder that contributes to my paranoia. It might be wise for you to examine your reasons for needing to take your pets in so often. For me personally, learning everything I can about avian health, medicin, nutrition, etc, helps me know my birds are doing well.
I want you to know you're not the only one!

I did that twice. I got all the stuff out from Avian biotech and had it ready. Got the towel, the clippers. Wrapped her and then realized I cannot hold her and her foot still at the same time. The second time I had my husband hold her and when I went to squeeze the clippers she SCREAMED like I have never heard her scream! I thought OMG was I cutting it too low??!?!?! It scared me. Her nails are black so I cannot see the quick and I do not know how different they are from dog or cat nails. Maybe the quick is closer to the tip. I was thinking that maybe when I go to see or get the IRN, I could ask the breeder if I could bring Gollum so she could show me how to do it. How far to go etc. I cut our two pound chis nails all the time but his nails are clear and I can easily see the quick
Take a regular nail file, or the cheapies and hold your bird in between your knees if you can (or bundled in a towel) and do a few passes on the nails, treat, and release. You can do this for their beak if it gets unruly (my amazon is horrible at keeping his beak clean and trim) and gradually increase the number of passes. I did this with my conures. You can do a few passes every day until the nails are in good shape, and learn when to stop because you're not doing too much.

I worked as a dog bather/groomer for a while, and learned how to do nails, which is the same for birds. For black nails, you'll see a little black dot in the center of the nail when you're getting close to the vein. Chances are you'll never have to take the nails THAT low. You're only really taking the tip since birds need their claws. Look at the nail from the side and you'll see where it starts to taper and thin, take about half of that. A quick pass with a nail file after clipping will fix the sharp edge that can be worse than the whole nail!

I personally use a dremel on my Sydney since his nails grow in curly q's and upside down, and he's terrible, but he doesn't cry like he did with clippers since it's not "pinching" the vein. Think about how it feels when you touch your nail bed after taking your nails down too long!:eek:

I take Kalypso in once a year. My vet also gives me her cell number (especially after last time when she had a seizure in the vets office!) and I can call her anytime. She also gives me lots of recomendations such as reputable bird sitters, remidials for night frights ect. Avian Biotech is located in my town which I find unusual as its a rather small town. Maybe they can take the feathers or blood for me as I cant bring myself to do it lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back