noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes the people willing to board him take in many parrots for rehoming and they said they were experienced with aggressive birds as well.

Good- just keep in mind that it will be rough on the bird to bounce around a bunch and that part of the issue could honestly be related to your family dynamic/reactions (or lack thereof) to the bird-- If the temporary owners are very patient, consistent and knowledgeable, he might behave better if they react differently to the behaviors or have stronger trust, but it is no guarantee that the "bad" behaviors would not start again if you returned him to your home (UNLESS your whole family changed and worked in re-building trust/ handing behaviors differently- and trust won't happen right away in all likelihood).
The thing to keep in mind is that none of this is the bird's fault-- That sounds harsh but humans are notoriously bad at understanding these creatures (wild animals) and so when things go wrong, we cannot blame the bird (no matter how tempting it may be). It is always a lack of understanding on the human's part that leads to spiraling situations..and, as always, hind-sight is 20/20, so please know this isn't a guilt-trip---just a reality.
So if they "fix" him, it is because they did something differently, and those behavior changes will be based on trust and consistency (and knowledge of bird behavior, husbandry etc).
Even if your family DOES change their style with him after he gets help with behavior, you ALL will have to be VERY patient, as new behaviors often do not translate across people and environments without long-term patience and consistency (and it sounds like you are in it for the long-haul, but I am not so sure about the rest of the "flock")...
In other words, if you bring him back home after the training, people can't get mad or give up just because they don't see the same "good" behaviors right away....It takes a long time to re-establish trust after an incident and a transition is always hard for a bird...If they "fix" him, leaving them will also pose a potential challenge.
I am not telling you NOT to do this, but I am trying to make sure you have the right mindset going into this. He is acting this way for a reason, and birds remember things that upset them.
Finally, if they do not change the behaviors, it is, again, because he needs something other than what he is getting with them, BUT absolutely none of this will happen fast.

Last edited:
OP
B

Buddiesparents

May 13, 2020
No I definitely needed to hear everything you just said and I thank you so much for that. Im going to have a discussion with my family that if we do decide to bring him back they all need to be 100% on board and dedicated to him and if they aren’t then he’s going to stay right where he is as he will be better off there. I think I’m in the right mindset though the only way I can see this working out in my favour is if by the time he is done being rehabilitated then I take him on my own cause by the time he will be “ready” I’ll be moved out. And again that’s only if his foster parents allow it, my family allows it, and if I’m properly educated.
Though the thought of giving him away does crush me talking about it more and hearing from everyone here that it’s going to benefit him more does make me feel confident that it is the right decision to make

Most Reactions

Latest posts