Fatty Dingdong the fabulous rude parakeet

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
:blue2:

Fatty Ding-Dongs | The Metalocalypse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

That's what I get for asking people for name suggestions. Bird almost got away with being named Meep, but no: Fatty Dingdong.

I've always wanted a rude bird, so when Fatty started talking I took advantage of the fact that parakeets are relatively short-lived parrots and the fact that I will never have to rehome him.... He is what you might consider an edgelord or troll... He says some relatively innocent things "Hey bird" "little bird" "whatcha doing" copies the cockatiel several ways, mimics a highly stylized siren(we are right around the corner from a firehouse and maybe a block from a large road) and some less innocent things "drink bleach" and various obsceneties to name a few... I have only had him a short time... a couple of months. I did not plan to get him, was in one of the box stores for something or other and bought him kind of on a whim. shrug. Not the best practice, but I have a bunch of bird experience and had an empty cage so figured why not.

He is very smart, incredibly devilish, clowney, and sweet: all the best traits of a parakeet. Have been working with training, and I intend to try out flight training with him. I have never done this before so pointers would be appreciated. I plan to use this thread as like a "bird diary" of his training progress, antics, etc if that is allowed on this forum.

I've attached a photo-is there a better way to put photos in posts?- of Fatty sitting upside-down, how he sometimes does while talking to himself(tilt your head, for whatever reason photo is sideways). :rolleyes: Guess he thinks he is a very colorful bat.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Fatty is adorable! I'm looking forward to reading about his adventures, he sounds like quite the character!
When I add pictures, I am using Imgur...it will allow me to rotate the photo if need be.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I will look into Imgur, thanks for the tip.

Fatty's favorite toy is one of those plastic wiffle balls for cats with a jingle bell in it. I just now gave him a second one and he is beside himself. He is standing with one foot on each of them while chattering and love-attacking his favorite one, his girlfriend stand-in toy. He is still too young to try anything other than regurging for the toy and just being cute though. He is mixing and matching words again... "driiiiink *siren* birrrrdeach" I just heard. Silly critter.

Sent from phone, please forgive typos etc

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Fatty either really likes saying his name or thinks I need to go on a diet.... I'd believe either. :p

Sent from phone

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Fatty DingDong...lol...I don't blame him for cussin' :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Hahahahaha Fatty's latest phrases are "hey baby"(but in a creepy way), "(sugar honey you know the rest, but the word itself)bird" and he has begun to chant something so un PC that I'm not even going to hint at what it is lmao.

Parakeets are amazing. Forget the fact that many of these are things I cannot repeat and would be mortified if certain people overheard him saying them. This bird is impressing me greatly with how quick he learns! And I've been around african greys who were actively learning. Seems one day of training a new word (or phrase!) And he is already gibberish imitating. Day 2 and it becomes clear if you know what he is saying, day 3 and on it just gets clearer and louder. I know they are smart, but parakeets continually surprise me with just how smart they are. One of my childhood parakeets would sneak under doors and go explore, and would go up and down stairs on her own to entertain herself. Would go back under my bedroom door and to her cage when she was done. It boggles the mind that they are so underappreciated in the hobby.

Sent from phone

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Indeed, budgies are very underappreciated. Everyone seems to put a lot of emphasis on parrots’ talking abilities, however mine don’t talk and I don’t really have the desire to teach them. One of the reasons people love cockatiels is their whistling and singing ability, but Ducky has never whistled a note and I don’t really care if he does. Also, owning birds isn’t a “hobby”. Birds are family members.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Of course birds are family. But the definition of a hobby is something done regularly in ones leisure time for pleasure. I think keeping birds more than qualifies as a hobby. :)

Fatty is the first parakeet I've had who spoke, but I have adored each and every one I've had or known. And I'd enjoy Fatty just as much if he never had learned a single word. :) But the fact that he does talk is also super fun.

Sent from phone

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Sorry for double post: I *wish* Alex had never whistled. And my ears do too hahaha love him but boooooooooooooy can he be a pest when he wants to sing at sunup every. Frigging. Morning. For. 15. Frigging. Years. I envy your relatively quiet tiel. :p

Sent from phone

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Fatty's favorite phrase this morning seems to be, "Whatcha doing, Bleach?"

It does not exactly sound like he is saying "bleach"... 😆😆 I never taught him the female canine word..

Heh, TFW your s^&%posting parakeet starts making OC.

So proud. 😘

From phone

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I love this thread. Now I know I’m not alone! Keep it going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
https://plus.google.com/106856420477525449186/posts/PNGHiCUZcdB

He has learned to say "kill yourself" and has spent the morning saying that, "hi Fatty" and "drink bleach" to himself in the reflection he makes in the shiny latch to Alex's cage.

When I praise him I don't usually use his name, but he said today "good bird, Fatty" while chatting to himself. Aaaadorable. He also has taken to squatting down in his oversized food dish (he's in a cage designed for a significantly larger bird, so is Alex) and chatting to himself. I think it is for the echo, tho I suppose he could be talking to a reflection.

From phone

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Oh, and he has started to nibble at zupreem birdy fruitloops or whatever they call themselves. :p Still not a fan of veg, but we will get there. His "come here" is gaining distance as his feathers grow back in, whoo hoo.

from awful keyboard, new one was just delivered. hooking it up now

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

https://plus.google.com/106856420477525449186/posts/PNGHiCUZcdB

He has learned to say "kill yourself" and has spent the morning saying that, "hi Fatty" and "drink bleach" to himself in the reflection he makes in the shiny latch to Alex's cage.

When I praise him I don't usually use his name, but he said today "good bird, Fatty" while chatting to himself. Aaaadorable. He also has taken to squatting down in his oversized food dish (he's in a cage designed for a significantly larger bird, so is Alex) and chatting to himself. I think it is for the echo, tho I suppose he could be talking to a reflection.

From phone

Amy likes to yell FOOD FOOD in her nummy bowl,then laugh..I'm with you...I think she likes the echo! :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Ahhhhh omg. I just gave Fatty a kiss on the chest while he was on my hand and he didnt freak out at all. Just sorta looked at me like, "hey, uhh, human. Your beak is awful soft, maybe try someadis cuttlebone over here"

Yay progress! Tho taming a budger isn't usually too hard. :)

From phone

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

LOL....sorry..:rolleyes: but I can't help but :D or laugh when I think " Fatty Dingdong" lmao. I've read/heard "unique" names in my time...but...:rolleyes:

Jim

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also giggle whenever I see his name...he sounds like quite the character!
My Budgies only speak Budgie, and I'm really glad I can't understand what they call me when I am late with dinner.

Most Reactions