Feather Disease? (pictures) Should I be worried??

Baby

Feb 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
1 Adorable Green Cheek Conure Named Baby
Does anyone know if I should be worried about this? Could he have a feather disease?! Or is this trauma from plucking or from a toy in his cage? Or..? I've had him for 4 years (all his life) and he's had immaculate feathers all his life. So I've never seen his feathers like this before and am really worried. Could someone please help?

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 658
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 852
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 809

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It looks like he's barbering his feathers. Any changes recently?

OP
Baby

Baby

Feb 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
More photos attached:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 813
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 681
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 628
OP
Baby

Baby

Feb 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Is that a stress response? Similar to plucking? We added a new bird (budgie) to our flock 5 months ago and finally took her out of quarantine and placed their cages in the same room 2 months ago. Could this be the reason? The new budgie (Bella) wakes up earlier than Baby(gcc) is accustomed to, makes a lot of noise with her toys and chatters all day long.

OP
Baby

Baby

Feb 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Yes that can be the factor!

I have just removed Bella (new budgie) from Baby's room. How long should I wait to see improvements in his feathers? If I see more barbering, I'll take him to the vet. Should I be worried about any parrot feather diseases?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I wouldn't worry about the disease part yet! Its not easy to stop them from barbering once they start. People suggested putting aloe and other spray stuffs to help with the issue. Just wait awhile to see if he improves, you might have to wait until he goes through a major molt to see if he quit.

OP
Baby

Baby

Feb 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Thank you!!! You've put my mind at ease for now. I'll keep a close eye on him and see what happens. I've read the threads on the sprays, aloe, humidifier, adding new toys for boredom and so on. I'll try to slowly implement all of these, so not to provide yet another source of stress since changes can stress him out. But I can safely start with rewarding him with a new toy I've been saving for him. Thank you so much for helping me!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Your very welcome, I've adopted 3 pluckers and I've been working with all different methods. Once I find a good way that works with all 3 I would share it.

OP
Baby

Baby

Feb 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Your very welcome, I've adopted 3 pluckers and I've been working with all different methods. Once I find a good way that works with all 3 I would share it.

They are very lucky to have you!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Your problem could also be feather mites from the new bird. Try touching a peice of scotch tape to his bare leg and see if you can see any small "bugs" with a magnifying glass.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome back Baby..... where have you been? it's been so long since we heard from you.

You have received great advise from MickeyTN, not much to add.
Hope it is only his
feathers barbering and soon passes.

Stay in touch okay
X X
:grey:

Last edited:

Devonte

May 14, 2012
I don't know whether I got it right or no... But I think there is something wrong
with diet(particularly liquids).
Make a check and balance. Well, its not an issue to be worried about.

Most Reactions