Feather plucking

Sharona

Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone, I really need some help, I have 3 Alex’s 1 derbyan and 8 budgies my latest a female Alex I got around a month ago started feather plucking and seems to have problems talking now, yesterday I took her to the vet and he said she was depressed and I should put her to sleep because she had no quality of life because of the plucking it’s not too bad just a bit but anyway I refused and they have given her antibiotics and antidepressants I have taken her away from the other parrots and she is with me at all times now as she came from a one parrot household, has anyone else had similar experiences

Thanks in advance

Worried sick mamma

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Where are you in this huge World? Something like an region or smaller area. This helps in providing you information that may help.

Understanding that your Parrot has lost her family and in more likely mooring the loss of her family /people /flock. Your spending increased time with her is a help.

It will be important to find a for real Avian Medical Professional. A Vet that targets Avian Clients and not a vet that 'also sees' Birds!

Thank you for bring this Parrot into your home.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Plucking is perhaps the most difficult of behaviors to understand and manage. It should NOT be death sentence at the hands of a coldly inept veterinarian. Causes range from physical to emotional and aspects we just don't comprehend. Parrots can live with every feather picked within range of the beak, given proper support.

I would advocate for second opinion, though use of anti-depressants is viable treatment. Check this thread for superb discussion: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

OP
Sharona

Sharona

Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone sorry it took me so long to reply, I’m still getting used to this site and couldn’t find my post lol first of all I’m in the uk and thank you for giving me a bit of a better understanding of the situation, I also had a look at the link that also helped I’m going to give the antidepressants a try and see how it goes so thank you both again for being so helpful and also understanding:)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Feather destruction behavior is definitely no reason to kill them!!! What the heck!!! Please don't continue with this veterinarian and find a new one!

Fearger plucking is very complex and may not be something you can stop once well entrenched. As they get endorphins abd sort of become an endorphins addict... but the can still be happy and enjoy their life! I have a plucker who plucks around her neck only, using her feet to help her plucking. Sometimes she stops and most feathers grow back, then she starts back. My vet said she rarely sees pluckers stop once they have been at it awhile.

Using mood altering chemicals can help possibly. But tge side effects on them often might not make it worth it. I had a medical foster who was self mutilation and had to be on them till the wounds healed. Then the vet had me stop them.

Tips on parrot stress
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Feather destruction behavior is definitely no reason to kill them!!! What the heck!!! Please don't continue with this veterinarian and find a new one!

Fearger plucking is very complex and may not be something you can stop once well entrenched. As they get endorphins abd sort of become an endorphins addict... but the can still be happy and enjoy their life! I have a plucker who plucks around her beck only, using her feet to help her plucking. Sometimes she stops and most feathers grow back, then she starts back. My vet said she rarely sees pluckers stop once they have been at it awhile.

Using mood altering chemicals can help possibly. But tge side effects on them often might not make it worth it. I had a medical foster who was self mutilation and had to be on them till the wounds healed. Then the vet had me stop them.

Tips on parrot stress
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

In Addition, Mood Altering Drugs have a limited time before the Parrot or Individual requires ever greater amounts. At some point, it becomes toxic and usage has to stop. The hope is that the behavior stops before this point is reached.

Most Reactions

Latest posts