Feather problem

JR_

Apr 22, 2013
Orlando
Parrots
Blue&Gold
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a while now and have enjoyed reading all the wonderful stories and advice. Now it's me in need of advice.

By wierd chance I have a new house member. I saw a man with a B&G outside a petsmart looking frazzled. Turns out he is the executor for an estate and was hoping petsmart would know what to do. He had no clue how to care for a macaw. We made a deal and viola...we're home. ID and all legal papers from a local attorney checked out so this isn't a con. The guy was a lifelong friend of the deceased owner but he had lived in Europe since the B&G (named Pooks) was purchased so he truly had no clue what to do.

Some history:
Pooks is about 3 years old and lived with his young owner since he was at 2 hand feedings a day. He showed me lots of pics on facebook and is going to send me all the photos. The owner had many years experience with large birds as the child of a hyacinth and catalina owner. Pooks appears healthy and calm. He stepped up right away and allowed me to pet him after a few minutes. His appetite is good and poops are normal looking. Vocabulary is progressing well too. A video the guy showed me tells me Pooks has a LOT more to say! LOL

So the only problem I can find is with his feathers. They are very tattered. My fid and friends' fids have never had feathers this bad even when plucking. I'll attach a pic. Any thoughts on what to do? Pooks is beautiful but he needs a little extra help.

Many thanks in advance,
JR

Attachments

• 20140122_134157.jpg
    20140122_134157.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 560
Congratulations on being a new parront!
I don't have experience with macaws. but am wondering if he started over preening due to the stress of losing his owner, and what ever may have happened since then. If the executor didn't know what to do, I am sure that Pooks life became drastically different from when he was with his owner. It may just take lots of attention, toys, good diet and out of cage time with you to get him back to good condition.
I am sure others with more experience will chime in with some help for you:)

Welcome to the forum!!!

Some bathing will solve that problem, it's nothing major really! :)

A bit more I forgot in case it helps.

Pooks was alone for at least 5 days before anyone gained access to his home. When found, he was not in a cage and there were signs he had found food but some of it may have been rotten fruit (banana and apple). There's no way to know if he ate it before or after it rotted. He also had torn open a bag of pellets and mixed nuts.

He's just as active and full of personality as my 18mo B&G Sam. They have not met yet and won't until I'm certain there's no health threat.

A bit more I forgot in case it helps.

Pooks was alone for at least 5 days before anyone gained access to his home. When found, he was not in a cage and there were signs he had found food but some of it may have been rotten fruit (banana and apple). There's no way to know if he ate it before or after it rotted. He also had torn open a bag of pellets and mixed nuts.

He's just as active and full of personality as my 18mo B&G Sam. They have not met yet and won't until I'm certain there's no health threat.

That's quite sad!!! I'm glad he was loose and smart enough to go find his food and eat. Have him vetted right away and keep him as far away from your other bird as possible.

How sad, but what a smart guy Pooks is. I agree with everyone, I think a shower would help tremendously.

Thanks to all. Pooks is a bit ticked off now. Apparently showers are not his vice of choice :D but the good news is not 1 attempt to bite hard, only slight pressure! He's doing a little preening on the perch by the window at the moment. Sam caught a glimpse (first time) of Pooks as I took him to the shower and it's been a 1-sided squawk festival since.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back