Feathers!

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
A few months ago I expressed concern about my GCC's blackened feathers. I'm not sure if I have a photo from then.
But he's been on chop and pellets for quite awhile now, and he's in the middle of his second molt. Can you all let me know your thoughts on his current feather conditions? (His flight and tail feathers are still mostly old specimens...but his wing coverts are brand new)
20220420_160958.jpg
20220420_161014.jpg
20220420_161003.jpg
20220420_160816.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
look normal to me. A lot of gccs have the black speckles and black tipped flight feathers. very normal for them. That's just how they are. He's looking good! Here's a picture of a bunch of different colorations with the black tipped wings and speckling.
1H1A1383words-1024x683.jpg

DSC00864_edited.png

Also i think you have a little insect friend in that last picture xD

Last edited:
OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
look normal to me. A lot of gccs have the black speckles and black tipped flight feathers. very normal for them. That's just how they are. He's looking good! Here's a picture of a bunch of different colorations with the black tipped wings and speckling.
1H1A1383words-1024x683.jpg

Also i think you have a little insect friend in that last picture xD
Thanks so much! I have seen photos of perfectly "blackless" wings on GCCs so was thinking those just had not been molted yet. Btw I have a ton of respect for whoever managed to get that photograph!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ He does look gorgeous to me, but I just wanted to be sure. He's super soft and super shiny which I read is a sign of good health in chickens ๐Ÿ˜.
And yes ๐Ÿ™„ there is a stinkbug in there...we have them really bad this time of year. Miles has learned the hard way that they aren't edible ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles the chicken or miles the conure? ๐Ÿคฃ
Lol we have chickens too. Miles is a conure. Once when I was diagnosing a sick hen, I read that soft and shiny feathers are a sign of good health in chickens...so i assume that can carry over to parrots. Lol...Miles is my little chicken though! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Lol we have chickens too. Miles is a conure. Once when I was diagnosing a sick hen, I read that soft and shiny feathers are a sign of good health in chickens...so i assume that can carry over to parrots. Lol...Miles is my little chicken though! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Im sure it applies to all burds as well lol

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
From my and my online friend's observations there are moments when GCC's have better and worse looking feathers. At least we noticed that our conures have more black tips somewhere on spring and after another molting their feathers become normal again. I don't know if our observations are right (we don't change the diet during year)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think the feathers wear throughout the year after molting. When the margins of the feathers are worn, they begin to appear blackish.

Re: color mutations, wild type birds have the strongest feathers because melanin is a structural pigment and makes a stronger feather.

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I agree with the others, a bit of black for his mutation is probably ok, it's only when there is a lot of black in that I'd be concerned.

Just for more info, what pellets do you feed him? Do you feed him only veggies and pellets?

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
I agree with the others, a bit of black for his mutation is probably ok, it's only when there is a lot of black in that I'd be concerned.

Just for more info, what pellets do you feed him? Do you feed him only veggies and pellets?
Roudybush Daily Maintenance. I feed him lots of veggies, a few fruits here and there, and an occasional nut or seed.

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
so, it's normal - each (yellow sided) GCC have black tips - mine too
Thanks!! He's a pretty boy, for sure! I was playing with him this morning and couldn't stop just staring at his gorgeous feathers ๐Ÿ˜

Last edited:

Most Reactions