Feeding mealworms to Kakarikis?

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
So, my boyfriend and I were just discussing and reading about whether or not Kakarikis need to eat any kind of meat, and the general consensus is that they can be fed mealworms or chicken. We were trying to figure out how we should do this, as well. Of course, chicken would be cooked with no seasoning that's bad for birds. Mealworms, though? We presumed we would need to feed him some live ones... What's the best way to do this? I want to make sure that he gets them before they end up on my floor... Any advice?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I bought freeze dried mealworms for my finches and my little conure LOOOVED them!

They looked awful but he ate ‘em like Cheetos.

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
Well that's good. The freeze-dried ones aren't bad for them, right? I just worry about there being preservatives or stuff in there that's bad for him. :\

Edit: Just did a quick Google and it doesn't seem like they use preservatives.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well that's good. The freeze-dried ones aren't bad for them, right? I just worry about there being preservatives or stuff in there that's bad for him. :\

Edit: Just did a quick Google and it doesn't seem like they use preservatives.
I think the ingredient list was pretty short! And I saw at least a few brands when I ordered them.

People feed mealworms to lots of exotic and non exotic animals as well as use for fishing bait. I think that freeze dried would be safer as there’s less chance of passing on a parasite or similar. Plus if they’re used to feed chickens, they have to be safe. People eat chickens and chicken eggs.

Oscar greencheek LOVED his mealworms. Ate ‘em like Cheetos. I hated to even touch them but my finches needed protein and parrots need some extra protein when molting or growing or breeding.

I would love to hear about your kakariki’s personality and habits. When Lucy passed I considered kakarikis but really wanted a Quaker. They sound like they could be real little devils!

Most Reactions