Feeding questions

Paymom

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
Orange winged amazon
(Amazona amazonia)
Hello everyone,
I am a 3 days owner of a 3 mouths old male orange winged amazon.
My question is how often should I feed him.
Also his is very very slow in everything he do, like he is tired all, I feed him seeds fruits and vegetables, he is accepting food from my hand but he is scared.
Also his feather looks fainted to me and are messy like he have been electroshocked.. Is all this normal or I should start to worried?
Sorry for my bad English.
Thank you.

OP
P

Paymom

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
Orange winged amazon
(Amazona amazonia)
Hello everyone,
I am a 3 days owner of a 3 mouths old male orange winged amazon.
My question is how often should I feed him.
Also his is very very slow in everything he do, like he is tired all, I feed him seeds fruits and vegetables, he is accepting food from my hand but he is scared.
Also his feather looks fainted to me and are messy like he have been electroshocked.. Is all this normal or I should start to worried?
Sorry for my bad English.
Thank you.
1632857018326.jpg
1632857073573.jpg

I just figured out that I can post pictures of him, so here he is

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Paymom, thank you for joining and sharing beautiful images of your amazon! Your English is excellent!

The behavioral and dietary issues you shared quite normal after just three days in your home. Generally takes weeks to feel safe and comfortable. Was this bird from a breeder or private home? Of course it is possible to have illness at same time, the diagnosis becomes more difficult without assessment by avian vet.

Best thing you can do is offer continuous food, offering fruits/vegetables a few hours daily depending on temperature. Parrots are naturally suspicious of new people and situations, but you can work to bond closer and earn trust. Excellent advice: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

OP
P

Paymom

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
Orange winged amazon
(Amazona amazonia)
Welcome Paymom, thank you for joining and sharing beautiful images of your amazon! Your English is excellent!

The behavioral and dietary issues you shared quite normal after just three days in your home. Generally takes weeks to feel safe and comfortable. Was this bird from a breeder or private home? Of course it is possible to have illness at same time, the diagnosis becomes more difficult without assessment by avian vet.

Best thing you can do is offer continuous food, offering fruits/vegetables a few hours daily depending on temperature. Parrots are naturally suspicious of new people and situations, but you can work to bond closer and earn trust. Excellent advice: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/
Thank you a lot for your time, I took him from a breeder

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Did the breeder suggest he was fully weaned, capable of eating solid foods without assistance? Birds are often sold before weaning is complete, leading to yet another challenge adapting to new home. Slowness/lack of energy may be result of fear, possibly poor nutrition. Can you handle him or at least touch with fingers? If you are able to gently feel his breastbone, note whether very sharp (underweight) or surrounded by thicker layer of skin. Better yet, do you have a kitchen or postal scale measuring grams? Weight directly tied to health, particularly sudden loss. Typically 350g to 400g.

Unfamiliar with orange wing amazons, his feathers don't look unhealthy to me.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome! Great place to find lots if helpful info, and just a. Inch of people that love parrots!

It can be that his cage is on the small side, and he can't retreat and feel safe. Plenty of perches, and one oerch behind a big toy or something as visual retreat.

It does take time to adjust to a new home and new people. So offer everything yummy he eat. A millet spray, a treat stick, offer free choice of what ever he had bern eating, and offer is different dishes stuff you would like him to eat. Young birds should be willing to explore foods, so it's a great time to offer lots of veggies, romaine lettuce, Swiss chard, abd hit chili pepper, bell pepper, peppers are well like by most South America parrots . Fresh corn on the cob, peas, only a little fruit twice a week..to much sugar in fruit can upset the bacteria flora. Try pomegranate , strawberries, blue berries, a slice if apple.
You can steam and light chop a mix of veggies and serve warm that might tempt some tasting. Eat stuff infront if him and offer him a taste. They learn from their flock
This is a good article on how parrots think and react and tips to reduce stress.

OP
P

Paymom

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
Orange winged amazon
(Amazona amazonia)
Thank you guys sooo much for your time, it's been almost a week already and Crocky has a lot of energy now he is screaming and eating all day and he seems to be happy.
But I mention a white color in his feather, and there is so much opinions in Google I don't know who to believe...
This is a picture of his white feathers.

Attachments

• 1632992909837.jpg
    1632992909837.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 100

Most Reactions

Latest posts