Feeling sad...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...for the Green Dino. This summer was a banner year for him...The Summer of Amy. (any Seinfeld fans remember The Summer of George?) He has blossomed in ways I could only imagine. He smiles a lot. He plays with toys. He has learned a couple words..chicken..scratch..I'm with you.His favorite word being HELLO! He is a bird of the people,always happy to see new faces and greeting them with amazon speak or a hello. The person behind the counter at Cumberland Farms or the girl behind the speaker at Popeyes Chicken or the stranger that got into our car lol, even the girls behind the counter at Dairy Queen who love to take his picture. He is a chick magnet.

I have caught him playing with toys which he never really did. I hear him banging his bells and peek around the corner (otherwise he stops.."what me? playing? no sir!!" and he is hanging upside down from his rafters givin' those bells all he has. He has a large rope/hoop swing that hangs from his rafters,has had it for decades and I never saw him on it,untill recently. He was gleefully swinging back and forth trying to reach another toy. He has a couple of those multi-colored rope perches that go from the side of his house to the front. His house is located close to the front door and on nice days I open the inside door for sun and warmth and he'll sit on one for hours looking out the door,watching his world go by.We are on a main drag..busy..cars,trucks,motorcycles constantly go by.There is a sidewalk out front and kids on bicycles,people walking doggo's,mom's and their kids in strollers..Wal Mart is just down the road,and he is content on watching.David gets a lot of stuff from Amazon. One day he told me he was expecting a delivery and the front door was open with Amy on his rope perch. I hear the doorbell and a HELLO?? and go see Amy on the perch and the delivery person waving at him. I opened the door and the young woman laughing so hard,she said she has never encountered anything like that and it made her day.

He gets excited when I ask him to step up on his carry-me-around perch,especially when we go down stairs coz he knows we are going out to the car..sometimes I get an "ioutside in the car" from him.
When we get out of the car he is on my shoulder.I used to say DUCK! (clunked his head once or twice and he yelled at me :-() Now I don't have to,he does it on his own.

In the car he is clingy,doesnt want to be off my shoulder. He doesn't like the sun roof partition open,he'll look at clouds passing by and make his warning trill call,I tell him it's ok Amy,you're with me.
He is unbelievably playful in the car. Gently nibbling my ear or running his beak up and down my cheek or throwing my sunglasses to the floor or mouthing my finger when I shake it at him saying NO!

Outside he'll walk the grass chewing twigs or grubs but never ventures more than six inches from me,always looking up at the sky.Sometimes he hesitates with one foot,no sure of the grass in his toes.

Now the summer is coming to an end,will be getting cooler fast. What do I tell him when the front door stays closed? How do I explain about no more adventures? Sorry you cant go outside there is snow on the ground.Do I get him a cashmire sweeter and booties?? They would be destroyed in minutes a long with a couple fingers.

What do I tell him? Will he understand??

I'm feeling sad for the Green Dino..

Jim

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Awww Jim. Levi is the same way. I always tell him (like wrench said) brrrr it's cold or it's really hot outside, same with rain, wind etc... I also take him out to have him experience my words. I reenforce the words with the temps. When it's snowing or cold. I'll stand by the door open it & say brrrrr it's cold out.
I've also taken him out for a split second for him to feel the snow flakes, he is NOT a fan...haha
But, just to help him understand the words have meaning.

I believe AMY probably already understands considering his age. He's already been through many seasons in his life.

Don't fret my friend, they understand much more than we realize.

Best of luck & please keep us posted. 💚:green:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio is a year around rider in the SUV. Only difference is that I let it warm-up prior to our Winter travels (commonly to the cabin). Yes, he is far more animated in the Summer, but he still loves to ride in the Winter!

There is no reason that Amy cannot sit in a South window on a Winters afternoon.

Common, when an Amazon opens-up, they rarely back away from it. At most a tiny bit regarding meeting people. But, remember these moments and assure they happen next Summer.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Jim, move to Southern California, Florida, Arizona, or any number of fair weather states! I know, not possible..... so remind Amy Spring is in about 6 months! Until then savor the outings until Old Man Winter rears his grizzled face!!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The weather has been beautiful as of late. Autumn/fallish in the 70's and been taking advantage of it. Today will be high 70's but next week summer returns with humidity and HOT :-/ So after my eye exam we will go adventuring..share lunch at the local park ( he got overly excited last week when I fed the squirrels HIS crinkle fries :D. He is so happy when we go places.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts