Feliway and other pheromones for cats?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I keep being told to try Feliway and similar products to help our two female cats get along during the introductory process (a long story). However, Feliway is paraffin oil based; itā€™s non scented and contains an artificial pheromone that is released when itā€™s heated.

Am I correct in assuming paraffin wax is not bird safe? I am also looking into alternatives. The cats are not allowed in my parrot room and it has a door with a lock and separate air filter, but it is on the same floor that I would need to use the plug in, so there is definitely air exchange happening between the bird room and the rest of the floor area.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Haha, as usual, with a bit more googling I answered my own question! The plug ins are NOT bird safe. They do however have a spray and a cat collar that should be fine to use, for anyone wondering something similar.

JaredCarrillo

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Nimfa
It's awesome that you found out the plug-ins aren't bird-safe. However, alternatives, like the spray and cat collar, should be safe to use. I've had a similar experience with my pets, where I had to find alternatives that wouldn't harm any of them. It's all about making sure everyone stays safe and comfortable. I also have a Ragdoll cat, so I have twice the responsibility. Anyway, I hope my tips help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts