Female cockatiels looking for a mate Westchester NY

keatond

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
cocktiel
Hi, good morning, everyone. I joined the form as a new owner for less than a year. My cockatiel is a female and looking for a mate these days, wondering if anyone can help. Thanks!View attachment 34042

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hello and welcome to the forums!
I donā€™t understand what you mean hy mate..
Do you want to breed her?-

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
if you want to get her a mate that leads me to believe you want babies. Or do you mean you just want to get her a friend of the same gender so you don't end up with babies.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
There is a breeder not far from you in Stamford CT called Parrots&Company...been in business nearly 40 years. Thats where my BB came from,very reputable place. I think they even have a web site.

Jim

D

Deleted member 42416

How did I end up on a dating website? I thought this was a parrot forum.WEELLL, in that case: BB LSC2 seeking no mate, just the ebullient admiration of everyone. Hereā€™s Ricoā€™s Tinder profile pic (heā€™s going for the ā€œcoy alluringā€ look):

6798BF91-B690-49FF-930B-FB37FB48BDE1.jpeg

OP
K

keatond

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
cocktiel
How did I end up on a dating website? I thought this was a parrot forum.WEELLL, in that case: BB LSC2 seeking no mate, just the ebullient admiration of everyone. Hereā€™s Ricoā€™s Tinder profile pic (heā€™s going for the ā€œcoy alluringā€ look):

View attachment 34059
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I couldnā€™t open the attachment, that may be a good thing,

why do you say your cockatiel Is looking for a mate? Is she making an annoying repetitive call? Or do you want baby cockatiels? And if so, do you have homes for the potential babies? There are many cockatiels to go around.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I dont think you are anywhere near prepared for breeding
You said you didnā€™t own your bird for even an entire year
I donā€™t understand where this idea is coming from
What will you do with the babies?ā€¦

Last edited:
OP
K

keatond

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
cocktiel
isn't it the natural thing for them to do?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Please, PLASE don't breed her! I lost my male show budgie in an attempt to breed him but I had no experience or enough knowledge :(

Why do you want to breed her? For cute babies?? Do you know HOW MANY birds are currently in shelter, rescues, have adds on craigslist, etc? Breeding them adds to the problem! You don't breed animals for the experience, to make money, or for cute babies, you do it to better the species' genes. Leave the breeding to the professionals!

If you want to do breeding ethically, it's going to cost a lot! You will need to have them tested for illnesses, genetics, etc and that's a lot of money!
Breeding has a lot of risks and can have an effect on their health. It takes a lot of power and nutrients to lay an egg. Not only that, but they can get egg binding. Egg binding is when the shell of the egg is too soft and gets stuck in the cloaca. This requires surgery to save them. Egg binding is very deadly. It can easily kill your bird. Even the pros lose birds when breeding them. Breeding can also lead to chronic egg laying.

The only reason birds in the wild breed is because they have to make more of their species, not necessarily because they want to.

It's not worth the risk. It is very irresponsible to breed them, especially since you have owned them for a short time.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts