Female Green Cheeks?

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
I saw a YouTube video stating that Green Cheek Conures with pink feet are females.

Is this true?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Agree with above, my Gcc has pink feet and he's a pineapple, he's also a DNA tested male.

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
I think foot color depends on which mutation of green cheek you have. I.e. lighter birds will have pink feet.
I have a pineapple.

I noticed the beak is much lighter in color, also.

My maroon belly had dark beak and feet, so I agree.

I love Lucky Bird either way, but I'm curious; plus I don't want to call Lucky "it".

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
Is their any way to tell without the dna test?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Is their any way to tell without the dna test?
With green cheeks no, unfortunately, you can try with behavior but that isn't always correct since every bird is individual. The Dna test I did was really simple and inexpensive, all I had to do was cut a nail to where three drips of blood would come out, then send it to the lab, it's called Polly Gene. You can also have a avian vet do the testing and I believe some parrot shop will do it as well.

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
With green cheeks no, unfortunately, you can try with behavior but that isn't always correct since every bird is individual. The Dna test I did was really simple and inexpensive, all I had to do was cut a nail to where three drips of blood would come out, then send it to the lab, it's called Polly Gene. You can also have a avian vet do the testing and I believe some parrot shop will do it as well.
Thank you.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Zero Is correct. Some experts are able to say the gender looking at the eyes but even this doesn't always work

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
You can always wait until sexual maturity and observe them during their hormonal periods I guess? Males and females would have different behaviors I believe - females are more booty up, males are more booty down (to say it nicely). Some people claim you can determine gender by physically examining the size of their vent and if there is room for eggs - honestly I wouldn't even know what I'm feeling for myself so probably a method better served by those with experience.

DNA-testing is usually cheaper if you do it thru online tests vs vets. I think I DNA sexe'd my parrot by feather for $20 USD vs my vet's office was a blood draw and $100

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Not for nothing a DNA test is like 15 bucks. I use IQbirdtesting or something like that. You can use a plucked feather or a bit of blood. It's not a big commitment; I spend more than that on lunch in this economy.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You can always wait until sexual maturity and observe them during their hormonal periods I guess? Males and females would have different behaviors I believe - females are more booty up, males are more booty down (to say it nicely). Some people claim you can determine gender by physically examining the size of their vent and if there is room for eggs - honestly I wouldn't even know what I'm feeling for myself so probably a method better served by those with experience.

DNA-testing is usually cheaper if you do it thru online tests vs vets. I think I DNA sexe'd my parrot by feather for $20 USD vs my vet's office was a blood draw and $100
I thought you could potentially tell sex by the distance between pelvic bones (not vent size). There’s a wider space between in females, especially when they’re laying.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I think it's the second time when I hear this fake info... and I have an idea how it could come.
Maybe somebody was breeding a pineapple, cinnamon or yellow sided (or one of these mixed with turquoise) male with a standard female (or normal turquoise). Then this info would be true but only about children after such paring. Maybe another person misunderstood the breeder and thought this always works? Just my hypnosis.

Last edited:

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I thought you could potentially tell sex by the distance between pelvic bones (not vent size). There’s a wider space between in females, especially when they’re laying.
Yes that is what I mean - vent is probably the wrong word, but the pelvic bones underneath. I'd just have no idea what I'm feeling for, heh, so prefer a DNA test.

kimmaltby

May 23, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
I heard that the males head tends to flatter and the females a little more rounded. That was the case with mine, which the DNA test confirmed. Interestingly, the breeder thought it was a female when she felt it's. "hips", so we named him "Phoebe". (The breeder was wrong!!)

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I heard that the males head tends to flatter and the females a little more rounded. That was the case with mine, which the DNA test confirmed. Interestingly, the breeder thought it was a female when she felt it's. "hips", so we named him "Phoebe". (The breeder was wrong!!)
I've heard the same thing. And something about the color of their eye, though that could be a Cockatoo thing.

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
Thank you.

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek

Thanks for the info.

I was going to have the vet do it, but you've saved me money.

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
Yes, I saw that with my husband's half moon conure.

He didn't believe me till she laid an egg, lol.

Most Reactions