Female parakeet with swollen tummy

jeep

Mar 16, 2017
Female budgie has had swollen belly since I had her. Do they have false pregnancies? Could she have worms? She seems even a little larger than before and I can see her stomach skin under her feathers. Otherwise her activities and playfulness are the same. She doesn't seem to be trying to lay an egg. The second picture shows the difference in the shape of the females. It's very hot in Phoenix right now and I hesitate to take her to a vet in this heat.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Female budgie has had swollen belly since I had her. Do they have false pregnancies? Could she have worms? She seems even a little larger than before and I can see her stomach skin under her feathers. Otherwise her activities and playfulness are the same. She doesn't seem to be trying to lay an egg.
Pic? She should probably go to the vet.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Female budgie has had swollen belly since I had her. Do they have false pregnancies? Could she have worms? She seems even a little larger than before and I can see her stomach skin under her feathers. Otherwise her activities and playfulness are the same. She doesn't seem to be trying to lay an egg. The second picture shows the difference in the shape of the females. It's very hot in Phoenix right now and I hesitate to take her to a vet in this heat.
What is her diet? Could be obesity. If possible a vet visit will be good.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Woah. That is alarming looking. Budgies are originally from Australia which also tends to be hot. Assuming your method of transport has air conditioning, I'd take them to an avian certified vet ASAP. If you don't already have a regular CAV, we have a resource list now put together here:

I know budgies, like Amazons, can get fatty tumors (called lipomas), and that might be what this is. Those tend to be benign and will sometimes go away if you correct their diet. However, it could just as easily be something more serious, and it would be best to have them seen by an experienced veterinarian. Even benign lipomas can cause problems with agility and flight if they grow too large. Normally they're a yellowish color - the photo of her from the front shows a reddish area that concerns me a bit as that seems to indicate irritation or inflammation. Your vet will be able to diagnose this and form a treatment plan.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Forgot to mention, but if not already, you need to cool them. They are obviously overheated in the image, you can see by the way they hold their wings. You can gently mist them with a spray bottle.

OP
J

jeep

Mar 16, 2017
Woah. That is alarming looking. Budgies are originally from Australia which also tends to be hot. Assuming your method of transport has air conditioning, I'd take them to an avian certified vet ASAP. If you don't already have a regular CAV, we have a resource list now put together here:

I know budgies, like Amazons, can get fatty tumors (called lipomas), and that might be what this is. Those tend to be benign and will sometimes go away if you correct their diet. However, it could just as easily be something more serious, and it would be best to have them seen by an experienced veterinarian. Even benign lipomas can cause problems with agility and flight if they grow too large. Normally they're a yellowish color - the photo of her from the front shows a reddish area that concerns me a bit as that seems to indicate irritation or inflammation. Your vet will be able to diagnose this and form a treatment plan.
Thanks I’ve made a note of it. She is scheduled to see a vet

Most Reactions

Latest posts