figuring out treats for a bird

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, I want to start training with Aster asap but I'm having a hard time find something she likes to eat that isnt what she was weaned onto (natural zupreeme pellets and cinaspice mix from bird street bistro)
I've tried offering her millet and nutriberries and shes munched on them a little but she just... doesnt seem to really care about them. I tried offering her safflower seeds and she would take it and then immediately drop it. I've been working on deterring her mouthiness by redirecting it to toys instead of my hands and that seems to be working okay. I've been half working on step up training but the only reward I can give her is praise and I dont see that getting me very far. Any suggestions?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
So, I want to start training with Aster asap but I'm having a hard time find something she likes to eat that isnt what she was weaned onto (natural zupreeme pellets and cinaspice mix from bird street bistro)
I've tried offering her millet and nutriberries and shes munched on them a little but she just... doesnt seem to really care about them. I tried offering her safflower seeds and she would take it and then immediately drop it. I've been working on deterring her mouthiness by redirecting it to toys instead of my hands and that seems to be working okay. I've been half working on step up training but the only reward I can give her is praise and I dont see that getting me very far. Any suggestions?
Try with apple, perhaps? That was Pascal's first training treat, he had no idea what to do with the nutriberries. I'd cut up some apple into very tiny pieces. They were excellent for recall training, he adores apples.

Another thing he would kill for are Harrison's power treats - they are huge chunks/cubes so I cut them down finely into nibble size and use that for training. For months now he will always hapilly train to get some of that! At first he wasn't interested, but i dropped an entire chunk into his food, and he gave it a try, nibbled and realised how yummy that thing is. And since then he'd do anything to get some of that.

Keep introducing stuff over and over, they act like children, really. One day they hate it, second day they ignore it, 3rd day it is the best thing that they have ever tried!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
offer a bowl of treats ( apples sunflowers etc) and see what she picks out first ,the first she picks and eats (ofcourse let her eat and try and see what she is the most from) is her favorite and should be used for recall step up and other important tricks ,the second one is her second and third fav should be used for trick training (spin ,roll over etc)

Most Reactions

Latest posts