Finch and parrot together?

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Hi everyone,
I have a 2 1/2 months old hand-raised greenfinch (Cippi 🥰 ), he's really friendly because I raised him since he was a baby bird.
His daily routing is this: I keep him in the aviary during the day while I'm at work and bring back inside when I come home. Inside the house he is free, even if usually he stays on my shoulder or around me (and my husband), and returns to the cage when he's hungry. During the night he stays closed in the cage, and I free him again during breakfast.
Now I would like to add a parrot to the flock, probably a cockatiel. I know that parrots shouldn't stay caged together with finches because they can hurt them, but can't they stay together free in the house (with us, of course)? Do parrots attack finches out of the blue? I fancy parrots, but I don't want to put Cippi in any danger.
Thanks for all your advices!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
In general parrots - in most cases it could be dangerous. But I heard that cockatiels are calmer than most parrots and don't really attack smaller birds - but I have no cockatiels, maybe somebody else should write

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Cockatiels are usually calm. They don't attack birds unless they go into their cage, eat their food, etc., but usually they won't attack other birds, usually just peck at them or hiss/screech.

I keep my cockatiel around my budgies and they rarely attack each other. Sometimes they fight, but I've only had a few times where one was injured.

As long as you keep an eye on them, they will be fine.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
NO, NO, NO!
As someone who has 4 finches and 5 parrots, HARD NO! Extremely dangerous and irresponsible.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
but from what I see you don't have cockatiels - they are different, not really aggressive
birds that are different species and that r larger are undeniably aggressive towards smaller birds . it takes one accident for a lost life that can be prevented if they just do not interact and are not given the opportunity . ive seen countless finches specifically pass because of owners allowing their bigger birds to interact . Its a fact of life

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
birds that are different species and that r larger are undeniably aggressive towards smaller birds
it isn't always true. For most parrots - yeah but I've seen info that cockatiels don't attack smaller birds and from what I see looking at thers experience it's a general true - see Pipp's post, she has a cockatiel and budgies.

From what I heard from a breeder budgies and cockatiels can't be bred together because young budgies are too annoying for cockatiels

I don't say cockatiels and finches can be kept in one cage - IMO Pipp has a good point in her post.

Of course each bird is different - I have another VERY calm species and one of them is more aggressive (however she isn't brave enough to attack another species - it always finishes on "sss sss sss"), so any contacts of different-sized species should be controlled

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have a friend who has a large bird room where her IRNs, conures, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and finches all live free, and she has never had an issue with any of them attacking the other.

My finches are in a large flight, but I've had a few get out when my conures were out of their cages and even when the finches landed on the cage next to one on the conures when I was trying to catch them, the parrots never even attempted to bite.

It will require you keeping an eye on them, but I do know it can be done. To be clear, I am speaking only about them being out together, not to be caged together. Caging together is something I would never recommend.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve heard of people housing cockatiels in large cages/ aviaries with finches. I think that cockatiels are less aggressive than budgies and not likely to chase the finches.

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Of course I don't want to put Cippi in any danger, I was lookin for direct experiences :)
I was thinking about outside time, aka supervisioned time, not caging them together where I cannot see them.
Thank you ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts