Finding a New home for my Ringnecks.

Theone

Mar 1, 2017
India
Parrots
Indian ring necks
Its been 5 years since I joined the forum and the journey has been very pleasant. I got a pair of Indian ringneck babies and have raised them with love. Due to my current circumstances I can't keep them any longer as I am moving countries. They are super healthy and don't have any issues. The male is overly attached to me and he does not bite anyone even not to strangers. The female gets moody sometimes and tends to bite but need to have patience with her and she can be friendly as well. I tried to have chicks but did not work out as the male is attached to humans. As I am from west India I was searching for Aviaries but can't find nearby me. Also I don't want to give them to strangers. I would love to give them to parrot lovers as they would interact with them everyday. I haven't trimmed their wings as I keep them out everyday for 2-3 hours and play with them. They are not able to fly much as they are domesticated. Please help me out here or suggest me what to do.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 54

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Can you put up an ad online or in the paper? Or call a parrot club?

I am sorry you have to give up your birds.

OP
Theone

Theone

Mar 1, 2017
India
Parrots
Indian ring necks
Can you put up an ad online or in the paper? Or call a parrot club?

I am sorry you have to give up your birds.
I am afraid that there are many people who would take them and resell them if I put an ad online or in the paper. I don't know if there is a parrot club here in my region. I feel sad to give them as well, I even tried searching for a way to carry them with me to the other country but it's not possible.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry you have to rehome your birds.
I'm going to move this thread to the rehoming section in hopes of increasing your chances of finding a home through the forum, and there are some wonderful stickies there about questions to ask when rehoming.
Best of luck to you, I hope you find a wonderful home for them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am afraid that there are many people who would take them and resell them if I put an ad online or in the paper. I don't know if there is a parrot club here in my region. I feel sad to give them as well, I even tried searching for a way to carry them with me to the other country but it's not possible.
Hi, after seeing this response I think you should charge a price for your birds to weed out anyone who would take them and resell them or mistreat them.

Can you advertise them at a temple or a doctors office or bank? Or at a university?

A couple of years ago i advertised my Meyers parrot on Craigslist (a selling platform) and I did request a fee because I didnā€™t want someone to buy him cheaply and sell him to make a profit. This didnā€™t work out anyhow because of covidā€”he was afraid of face masks and bit the person who drove two + hours to meet him.

You could always be such a pain that a buyer must REALLY WANT these birds in order to get them. But then again you are leaving the country and you need to find them a placeā€¦Do you have a relative who would treat them well?

OP
Theone

Theone

Mar 1, 2017
India
Parrots
Indian ring necks
Hi, after seeing this response I think you should charge a price for your birds to weed out anyone who would take them and resell them or mistreat them.

Can you advertise them at a temple or a doctors office or bank? Or at a university?

A couple of years ago i advertised my Meyers parrot on Craigslist (a selling platform) and I did request a fee because I didnā€™t want someone to buy him cheaply and sell him to make a profit. This didnā€™t work out anyhow because of covidā€”he was afraid of face masks and bit the person who drove two + hours to meet him.

You could always be such a pain that a buyer must REALLY WANT these birds in order to get them. But then again you are leaving the country and you need to find them a placeā€¦Do you have a relative who would treat them well?
Giving them to one of my friends or relatives was my first thought but as no one in my family or friends have birds as pets they wouldn't know how to treat them and spend time with them. I think charging would be a good idea as it would only interest people who are willing to take care of them. India being a huge country still doesn't have any good aviaries or places where we can rehome birds.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Giving them to one of my friends or relatives was my first thought but as no one in my family or friends have birds as pets they wouldn't know how to treat them and spend time with them. I think charging would be a good idea as it would only interest people who are willing to take care of them. India being a huge country still doesn't have any good aviaries or places where we can rehome birds.
A hotel or a restaurant that would like to feature beautiful birds?

OP
Theone

Theone

Mar 1, 2017
India
Parrots
Indian ring necks
A hotel or a restaurant that would like to feature beautiful birds?
It would be cruel in my opinion to give in hotel or restaurant šŸ˜…. You should google restaurants and hotels in India. You will get an idea of it, not that I am against it but India is completely different in this aspect.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It would be cruel in my opinion to give in hotel or restaurant šŸ˜…. You should google restaurants and hotels in India. You will get an idea of it, not that I am against it but India is completely different in this aspect.
Ok. Sorry.

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Iā€™m so sorry about you and your birds, I canā€™t imagine how tough it must be to find someone you can trust to take them in :(
I would suggest a reputable zoo that might be able to take them in as a donation/sponsor animal for education and they know how to handle birds. If not, I would call anyways and ask if they know any facilities that can take them in. If you have any avian vets in the area, I would ask them too. Hopefully you can find a solution soon!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m so sorry about you and your birds, I canā€™t imagine how tough it must be to find someone you can trust to take them in :(
I would suggest a reputable zoo that might be able to take them in as a donation/sponsor animal for education and they know how to handle birds. If not, I would call anyways and ask if they know any facilities that can take them in. If you have any avian vets in the area, I would ask them too. Hopefully you can find a solution soon!!
I also think a zoo or bird park might be the best idea. I canā€™t tell you how to reach a home owner who would be likely to care for them well. It seems you would do best talking with people who can afford to give your birds a good home, like at religious organizations, work connections or families you know somehow.

I have found birds needing homes by telling parrot clubs that I was looking for ā€œthis species of bird.ā€ If there is such a club where you live, maybe you could say you are looking for a home for your birds?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Where are you located? im in florida, would LOVE to take them!!

Theyā€™re in West India; additionally, the thread is over a month old, so itā€™s likely theyā€™ve rehomed their birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts