First time conure owner, he keeps pacing.

Greencheekedray

Dec 27, 2017
Uk
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Hey I'm a new owner to a male green cheeked conure who I got two days ago for Christmas.
I joined the forum because I've noticed that he keeps pacing on the perch on top of his cage, I've read that this can mean he just wants attention but when I go up to him he runs to the other side of the cage and avoids me. I thought also that it might be because he stayed with my mum's friend who had also gotten a sun conure for her son in law, so they were together for about a month before the GCC came to me and sun conure went to other guy ,so I thought it might be because he misses the other conure.

Can anyone give me some advice?

OP
G

Greencheekedray

Dec 27, 2017
Uk
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Oh also forgot to mention, that he has his wings taped which he keeps pulling on to get it off.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I'm guessing exactly what you've said: 1. He misses his friend a bit. 2. He is scared but clearly wants attention.
I have heard my sun conure will sometimes angrily pace for a few minutes after I leave to get attention and he thinks it will bring me back or something. I've never seen him do it but I do know it can mean he wants attention. Just work on clicker training and step ups and he'll quit running away. He's just in a new place without his friend and is lonely and scared.

OP
G

Greencheekedray

Dec 27, 2017
Uk
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Hey, thanks for the reply.
I want to ask 1 what's clicker training? 2 how am I going to do it when he just runs away from my hand?

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
It is possible that he is missing his friend and he is not yet bonded to you. It will take time for him to trust you and bond to you. There are many threads on this forum that you can search that can teach you many good tips on how to bond with your bird. You will have to take it slowly and go at his pace.

I really would love to mention this-PLEASE remove the tape off of his wings. If you aren't comfortable doing it, please take him to a vet to do it. Taping a birds wings is not the most humane way to keep him non-flighted. If you must keep him non-flighted a proper wing clipping is a much better option than taping.

Congrats on your new addition and good luck with him. Once he begins bonding to you, I'm sure it will be a great experience for both of you:)

OP
G

Greencheekedray

Dec 27, 2017
Uk
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Yh I was going to remove the tape at the soonest time possible (one he's a bit more comfortable with me I just thought I'd mention it Incase it may be one of the reasons for pacing.
And is there any way you can get me a link or something to one of the threads.
Thanks.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I answered before the tape comment was made...I agree that the pacing and wing taping could be related. Just look up clicker training in the search bar of this forum or on YouTube. There are lots of advice on it and how to do it. It actually helps tame birds and learn trust among other fun things!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
Have to say I've never heard of taping a bird's wings. Sounds horrid. I have also decided not to clip my bird's wings as I have a dog. They are never allowed in the same room when Donny is out, but if it did happen [I have 3 grown-up children coming and going, so it could happen], I'd like him to be able to fly away if he needs to.

Agree that the pacing sounds like he's a bit unsettled, but happy to defer to more knowledgable owners.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just wanted to add wanting attention and wanting to be touched are not always the same. Sometimes they just want to see if you will jump through hoops for them.

OP
G

Greencheekedray

Dec 27, 2017
Uk
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Update, got the tape off yesterday, he does seem a lot happier! Still paces but not as much.

OP
G

Greencheekedray

Dec 27, 2017
Uk
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Just wanted to add wanting attention and wanting to be touched are not always the same. Sometimes they just want to see if you will jump through hoops for them.

What exactly do you mean by jumping through hoops?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome.
Good for you, for reaching out!
I have heard of wing-taping, but not much, and not in a long time. I guess it probably has its merits, as opposed to clipping. Please, I'm curious: what kind of tape was it??? Did it come off easily? What were your instructions for the monitoring/removal?
Again, welcome!

Most Reactions

Latest posts