First time parrot owner. New to the forum.

Cynren224

Dec 9, 2021
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Hello from Texas. As the title says, I (my husband does not claim the inside birds) am a first time parrot owner. I have a 5 mo. old Rose Breasted Cockatoo named 'GaGa.' She is the sweetest. We have ducks and chickens and have even had inside ducks so I know a few things but I have soo much to learn. So glad I found this place.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello from Texas. As the title says, I (my husband does not claim the inside birds) am a first time parrot owner. I have a 5 mo. old Rose Breasted Cockatoo named 'GaGa.' She is the sweetest. We have ducks and chickens and have even had inside ducks so I know a few things but I have soo much to learn. So glad I found this place.
Welcome to the forums, and to the wonderful world of parrot custodianship! Looking forward to seeing some pics whenever you can ....

Thanks for joining our big, beautiful online flock, we're pleased to have you aboard :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

At 5 months your 'too is too young yet for puberty, but it IS coming. Read up on ways to reduce the effects so you are prepared. Its the time when most parrots get rehomed or even abandoned, because they totally loose their minds for awhile. And dont be surprised if she pushes away from her current favorite person, thats natural when a young parrot becomes more of an adult (just like human kids). Rose breasted 'toos are a bit different in that they have ore of a communal approach to raising chicks to adolescence so that may not be as intense as other species.

OP
Cynren224

Cynren224

Dec 9, 2021
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Welcome and be welcomed.

At 5 months your 'too is too young yet for puberty, but it IS coming. Read up on ways to reduce the effects so you are prepared. Its the time when most parrots get rehomed or even abandoned, because they totally loose their minds for awhile. And dont be surprised if she pushes away from her current favorite person, thats natural when a young parrot becomes more of an adult (just like human kids). Rose breasted 'toos are a bit different in that they have ore of a communal approach to raising chicks to adolescence so that may not be as intense as other species.
Yeah, I did read about that:-( At about what age do they hit puberty? I will certainly look into it some more. Thank you.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hi! Welcome! I'm glad you've come to this forum!

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi and welcome, fellow Texan! I live in the burbs outside of Houston though we also have acrage in Brenham. If you're in this area and need local info (avian vets, etc, just let me know!).

Please tell me more about indoor ducks. I’m having trouble visualizing this. Especially the poops. 😊

OP
Cynren224

Cynren224

Dec 9, 2021
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Hi and welcome, fellow Texan! I live in the burbs outside of Houston though we also have acrage in Brenham. If you're in this area and need local info (avian vets, etc, just let me know!).

Please tell me more about indoor ducks. I’m having trouble visualizing this. Especially the poops. 😊
The poops are why I no longer have them inside, lol. When I incubate eggs or have orphans I raise them inside until they are big enough to go on their own. I have a handicap duck that I raised inside for about 2 yrs. She is outside in her own special pen now. All I can say is PUPPY PADS, lol.
We are SE of Austin and have an Avian vet in south Austin so we're good, thank you.

D

Deleted member 42416

Ohhh. I forgot to mention, we have a rescue lesser sulfur crested cockatoo who is now 5yo named Rico. For them, puberty is between 4 to 6 yo. He has his moments which are usually when “the LAAAADIES” are around (me or our teenage daughter). This presents as crest up, tail fanned out, strutting around with chest out, then biting my husband (who is usually his main person). It has lessened, and I think after age 6, it should be much improved, though older parrots (like people) will still have some hormonal moments!
I am also reposting the “no-no” zone for petting as this can stimulate hormonal behavior in parrots.

Attachments

• 69B9BA26-3B8A-40BB-A3F7-20FB4E3527AC.jpeg
    69B9BA26-3B8A-40BB-A3F7-20FB4E3527AC.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 06B442D9-55C4-409B-ABE5-D4D69BD7E6DD.png
    06B442D9-55C4-409B-ABE5-D4D69BD7E6DD.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 77

Most Reactions

Latest posts