First time Weaning

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks green female and blue male
Hi I just recently got a blue cinnamon ringneck baby at 35? (Only pin feathers)Days for the past month Iā€™ve been hand feeding him and everything was going well until one night he didnā€™t want the formula. I wonā€™t lie I was pretty nervous and a bit stressed out that this happened at only 50 odd days. Is it normal? Some people on the internet think itā€™s ok.so I buckled up and started the process one spoon feeding in the morning afternoons and one at night. Itā€™s a battle. He resists I mix a bit of banana or peanut butter and vitamins my vet gave me in the mix. Iā€™ve also cut down on the amount is that ok? During the day I offer him fruits vegetables and seeds. He nibbles a bit.and I donā€™t think heā€™s getting enough to eat. Crazy parent?!?! Iā€™ve become a bit paranoid about his droppings. I check on them constantly.I have to constantly reassure myself Itā€™s ok itā€™s ok heā€™s pooping right stop worrying. His droppings have become smaller but today after his afternoon feeding he only pooped a bit of white and liquid. Now Iā€™m freaking out. He seems alright plays around flies like a drunk pilot loves his naps. Am I doing this right? And is his crop does it have to be large? What size is right?

Attachments

• 56B05472-5F31-48C4-A126-00892894BE29.jpeg
    56B05472-5F31-48C4-A126-00892894BE29.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 57
  • A8BE9D08-E0DB-4250-A4B2-179C3B3FEDCB.jpeg
    A8BE9D08-E0DB-4250-A4B2-179C3B3FEDCB.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 66

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi I just recently got a blue cinnamon ringneck baby at 35? (Only pin feathers)Days for the past month Iā€™ve been hand feeding him and everything was going well until one night he didnā€™t want the formula. I wonā€™t lie I was pretty nervous and a bit stressed out that this happened at only 50 odd days. Is it normal? Some people on the internet think itā€™s ok.
He's probably ready to start eating whole foods :) try feeding some veggies, seeds, pellets, etc.
He resists I mix a bit of banana or peanut butter and vitamins my vet gave me in the mix. Iā€™ve also cut down on the amount is that ok?
It is best not to cut down the amount to get them to eat whole foods.. forceful weaning can cause a bunch of phycological issues.
For more info read this:
https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/so-you-bought-an-unweaned-baby.74363/

As for peanut butter, I highly reccomend not feeding it, and if you do, it should be a very occasional treat and preferably be free of salt and sugar.
During the day I offer him fruits vegetables and seeds. He nibbles a bit.and I donā€™t think heā€™s getting enough to eat. Crazy parent?!?! Iā€™ve become a bit paranoid about his droppings. I check on them constantly.I have to constantly reassure myself Itā€™s ok itā€™s ok heā€™s pooping right stop worrying. His droppings have become smaller but today after his afternoon feeding he only pooped a bit of white and liquid. Now Iā€™m freaking out. He seems alright plays around flies like a drunk pilot loves his naps. Am I doing this right?
Can you find an avian vet? It may help reduce some of your anxiety, because if there is no issue you'll be relieved and if there is an issue, you'll likely know what to do and expect:)
And is his crop does it have to be large? What size is right?
Here is how to handfeed them(I disagree with some points, such as hand fed birds being tamer, but otherwise it's ok):

Cheers!

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What a cute blue baby!

Does he have food in his cage besides what youā€™re hand feeding? Is he eating it?

50 days old is 7 weeks which I think is about the time that he should start weaning. You want him to start eating solid foods without being hand fed. Although maybe you could feed him pellets or other food by hand to sort of work him up to independence.

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks green female and blue male
What a cute blue baby!

Does he have food in his cage besides what youā€™re hand feeding? Is he eating it?

50 days old is 7 weeks which I think is about the time that he should start weaning. You want him to start eating solid foods without being hand fed. Although maybe you could feed him pellets or other food by hand to sort of work him up to independence.
Update on weaning:
Itā€™s been a few days and weā€™ve made progress he likes mango purĆ©e with a cookie I found made of five cereals seeds and fruit purĆ©e. And he has seeds and formula feedings twice a day, even if itā€™s a spoon or two.
And vegetables for lunch.
What a beautiful Quaker! I used to have a Quaker when I was young.

Attachments

• 8425CCA2-3573-4C9C-ABCD-822A65B98404.jpeg
    8425CCA2-3573-4C9C-ABCD-822A65B98404.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 58

Most Reactions

Latest posts