First Words?

saiyixuy

Aug 24, 2011
How old was your fid when they first started talking? How long did it take to teach them? What was their first word? What was your method of teaching?

Am I allowed to ask that many questions in one post? Oops!... that's another question.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
I didn't have my bird as a baby, but his first speech to me was, "Quack Quack, I'm a duck!" First impression - I've never met a lying bird ;)!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph started talking at about 5 months old, shortly after I got him. A good approach is to talk to your parrot a lot-- not necessarily things you want him/her to say, but just talk to your parrot as you would any friend. The more speech they hear, the more encouraged they are to speak. Use words you'd like your parrot to learn in their proper context-- identify foods and objects by name, only say "good morning" in the morning, and so on.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Bean - My amazon started talking when he was about 7 or 8 months old. The older he gets the more things he is learning. My ringneck who is 30+ only says his name and meow. Then there is little Ida - My CAG. She is about 8 months old now. She picked up my 4 year old daughters ear piercing scream, Chico's ear piercing scream, and Bean's ear piercing scream... and she whistles, but no words yet. :)

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Our Charlie, a GCC, started talking a few days after we adopted him. He is a rescue and we suspect that he was around one when we got him. His first word was "Charlie" which he still uses all the time. He talks quite a bit for a GCC and we didn't teach him any of the words, he's just picked them up in context as we talk to him and interact.

QuackQuack, your story is super funny.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Our Charlie, a GCC, started talking a few days after we adopted him. He is a rescue and we suspect that he was around one when we got him. His first word was "Charlie" which he still uses all the time. He talks quite a bit for a GCC and we didn't teach him any of the words, he's just picked them up in context as we talk to him and interact.

QuackQuack, your story is super funny.

Aw, thanks :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts