Fixing his separation anxiety?

Grubsich

Aug 11, 2017
ireland
Parrots
Genji the green cheek conure :@) About 3 years old.
please read this part before replying!!! to start, some info on me and my girlfriend who live together. we both have ptsd and depression. i have autism, and she has adhd, which causes her to have almost no short term memory. were both untreated.
please read this part before replying!!!

now, we've had a green cheek conure for about 3 years. he a few behavior problems im working on that i think is going good.
but there's one thing were both completely lost on.

he SCREAMS when either of us leave the room. even if there's one of us with him, if he hears the other walking around, he screams for him. his desperate, location call scream.

he'll do this for hours if we try to wait it out. i really need some tips on where to start going forward with this.

what i've tried: calling back to him , not responding to his piercing call, responding to him eventually saying something. this one seemed promising, but there's only so long i can stand outside talking to him, he'll scream again if i tell him im leaving.

in his cage are his favorite treats, one in plain site, others hidden, neither will be touched, he just grips the bars and stays in one spot to scream.

this is very hard for us because of my autism i get overwhelmed with his screaming, and my gf's memory problems, i feel like any training i start wont matter because my gf cant keep it up.

sorry this is so long. i'de appreciate advice other then "try harder" and "you just have to stick to a routine" because it's not possible right now.

also, along with her memory problems, i don't think my gf really understand the full impact of not being consistent with training. i would appreciate any non video links explaining why it's important.

thank you !

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank yiu for your honest background. Im sure a screaming bird is lowering the zen factor of the home. Likely this issue is complicated by a few factors, burds are sensitive to our stress, they do like their flock to all be together, and the screaming has become s habit they had been reinforced in the past, and it takes time and a multiple approach to make it stet going away...

This link is a great article to start with!!
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

OP
G

Grubsich

Aug 11, 2017
ireland
Parrots
Genji the green cheek conure :@) About 3 years old.
@Laurasea

thank you! i'll read over the link properly later but it looks like it has some new things to try that we havn't thought of before!

Most Reactions

Latest posts