Fleece Snuffle Mat?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is advertised on a local Craigslist as a “homemade fleece snuffle mat”.

“Snuffle mats are great interactive toys for your dog, cat or other companion animal. Simply sprinkle some of their food or treats ontop of the mat and let your pet use their nose to sniff out all the goodies!

Great way to slow down a fast eater, stimulate a bored mind or have a fun activitey on those rainy days.

Mats are made on a durable and flexible plastic mat and strips of fleece fabric. Mats are approximately 13×14.5" and great for any sized pet!

Mats are $15 each”

Do you think this would work for a bird, namely a Quaker? (Pretty sure Jasper would ignore or rip this.)

D72F4A07-513B-4C1A-AEBA-AF26F5951B3C.jpeg

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
This is advertised on a local Craigslist as a “homemade fleece snuffle mat”.

“Snuffle mats are great interactive toys for your dog, cat or other companion animal. Simply sprinkle some of their food or treats ontop of the mat and let your pet use their nose to sniff out all the goodies!

Great way to slow down a fast eater, stimulate a bored mind or have a fun activitey on those rainy days.

Mats are made on a durable and flexible plastic mat and strips of fleece fabric. Mats are approximately 13×14.5" and great for any sized pet!

Mats are $15 each”

Do you think this would work for a bird, namely a Quaker? (Pretty sure Jasper would ignore or rip this.)

View attachment 41498
I would be worried about them eating the mat. I know my budgies like to nibble at any fluffy cloth they find. If you have a bird that won't do that, or you supervise closely, I'd say it would be a good option.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow would be supervised. I’d like to get him used to occupying himself NEXT TO me.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't seen Cotton around much fabric yet to have an opinion about the overall safety if you're supervising, but the parrot rescue uses fleece vests with tabs like this for their self mutilators and they seem to work really well. Gives them something to prevent and pull.

You're very watchful so it might be worth a try. My son's cockatiel loves foraging for imaginary seeds in my carpet and so far I've never seen him actually bite the carpet fibers.

Or you could see if they might be willing to make you one out of paper?

My dogs and cats have all really loved these for their food. My current dog gets hard puzzles now instead be aide she kept carrying the snuffle mat and hiding it in my bed, full of food.

Hopefully Willow won't get any similar ideas 😆

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I haven't seen Cotton around much fabric yet to have an opinion about the overall safety if you're supervising, but the parrot rescue uses fleece vests with tabs like this for their self mutilators and they seem to work really well. Gives them something to prevent and pull.

You're very watchful so it might be worth a try. My son's cockatiel loves foraging for imaginary seeds in my carpet and so far I've never seen him actually bite the carpet fibers.

Or you could see if they might be willing to make you one out of paper?

My dogs and cats have all really loved these for their food. My current dog gets hard puzzles now instead be aide she kept carrying the snuffle mat and hiding it in my bed, full of food.

Hopefully Willow won't get any similar ideas 😆
If your son’s cockatiel was here he’d be foraging for real seeds.

“The seeds dropped by the birds form the next generation of the forest understory.” So why vacuum? Just wear slippers.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It should be fine as long as he doesn't destroy it. My budgies would probably be ok, I don't know about Pipp

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Haven’t gotten the snuffle mat yet. I ordered a bunch of toys from eBay and a bird bath that attaches to the side of the cage.

Willow wants to sleep early when my sleep schedule is the opposite! I saw baby hedgehogs advertised online and hear they’re nocturnal. I’m thinking a bit about this idea because they are very cute and I have lots of small animal toys acquired over the years.

Darn birds, wanting to go to bed with the sun! If God had meant for me to see the sun rise, He would have scheduled it later in the day.

Most Reactions