Flight Training, has anyone done this outside?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)

Kiwi is flight trained. I have worked with her for a long time (indoors). Has anyone tried flight training outside? Do parrots act the same outdoors as they do indoors? I donā€™t think Kiwi would just fly away. I havenā€™t tested that theory. I have been way too scared to attempt to bring her outside for flight training. Thoughts?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It would appear you have been working on Recall Training, which is a foundation of Flight Training!

Your general location places you in an area of Birds of Prey with Hawks well populating your area.

The common concern is that any numbers of things can spook your Parrot and as a result they are gone within seconds.

If you are set on flying your Parrot in larger spaces, I would recommend looking for a group in your area that rent an empty store or like building for a group fly inside!

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
It would appear you have been working on Recall Training, which is a foundation of Flight Training!

Your general location places you in an area of Birds of Prey with Hawks well populating your area.

The common concern is that any numbers of things can spook your Parrot and as a result they are gone within seconds.

If you are set on flying your Parrot in larger spaces, I would recommend looking for a group in your area that rent an empty store or like building for a group fly inside!
I do want my parrots to fly more freely. They love flying, and training. They appear bored with the current situation. I want to challenge them more for sure. Unfortunately Iā€™m in an area full of hawks, eagles, and falcons.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have seen many videos outside flight training on say youtube but it ALWAYS scares the hello kitty out of me. I have one bird I MIGHT do that level with.....But I'm not gonna.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I have seen many videos outside flight training on say youtube but it ALWAYS scares the hello kitty out of me. I have one bird I MIGHT do that level with.....But I'm not gonna.
Iā€™ve been saying for years that Iā€™m going to take Kiwi outside so she can free fly, and then I back out. Iā€™m too scared of her flying away, and getting hurt. I also have seen a bunch of YouTube videos that are very convincing that parrots donā€™t just fly away, and never come back. I believe you are in MN too. We are full of birds of prey here. Mayo Clinic is trying to name some more of their falcon babies they study. Which they are very interesting, and Iā€™d love to study them tooā€¦ just not anywhere near my conures.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry, I have read too many times of parrots supposedly flight trained ( recall), that get spooked by something, and it does not need to be a bird of prey, and POOF, they are gone. DO your flying in a gym or horse training hall or other LARGE indoor place. THe bird will not feel less for that. And at the end of the day you will still have your parrot. My opinion only.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry, I have read too many times of parrots supposedly flight trained ( recall), that get spooked by something, and it does not need to be a bird of prey, and POOF, they are gone. DO your flying in a gym or horse training hall or other LARGE indoor place. THe bird will not feel less for that. And at the end of the day you will still have your parrot. My opinion only.
Also my opinion, as a spooked Parrot is all about getting away from what spooked them. The time they are 100% targeting getting away, vary's but the average is about 7 - 8 seconds. Next time, you are outside, watch a wild bird simply fly by for just 5 seconds and note the distance they travel flying without the push of fear.

Point being, by the time they move out of the state of fear, they are far enough away from the starting point as to no longer know where they are and are lost!

If your parrot is limited in the number of rooms flight is allowed, try opening up great flight areas. Our DYHA is much larger and is very contain with the full first floor flight area. he controls. He busies himself with flight about our home keeping track of where everyone is and what they are doing, plus checking the windows to assure the wild life is not breaking any of his rules!. Unless your Parrot is limited to a simple single flight path, I would not be so quick as to define him as bored with his (your view) of his flight area.

Most Reactions

Latest posts