Flying in place?

NovaGirl

Dec 3, 2022
Parrots
budgie
my budgies have been like flying in place a lot lately like hovering above the branch and Iā€™m just wondering why they are doing this. Thanks

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
my budgies have been like flying in place a lot lately like hovering above the branch and Iā€™m just wondering why they are doing this. Thanks
My Budgies do this, too! We call it *helicoptering. I think they do it because it feels good to stretch and exercise their wing especially when flying isn't an option .

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
Yeah my budgies did this a lot whenever they got an energy hit so totally normal! Once I got them a bigger(huge) cage they just fly around that now now and the behaviour stoppedā€¦ my Senegal does it now when on his perch but I think does it more for testing his wings (his wings where clipped) and heā€™ll randomly take ofšŸ˜‚
anyway could be either but totally normal!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The goal regardless of the size of the Parrot is to activate the full system; from muscles, to heart and the air sacks. With younger Parrots its to build muscles and strength of the balance of the system. For Parrots that have been trimmed it is a means of testing the regrowth as well as to keep the system ready for flight. And, finally with fully flighted Parrots it is used to assure the feathers are in their correct location or shake-out any molting large feathers.

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
There is no **scientific** evidence or reasoning for why they do this, but we like to assume (and the most evidence leads to) they like to stretch and if it occurs after a bath or shower, they are probably drying their wings.

Most Reactions