Food and More I am just full of ??

jojo123

Nov 12, 2018
Texas
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Has anyone used this Mediterranean Bread from Tops. I ordered some and really don't know how much to give my grey per day or even use it. Do you have info on it?

I also have a question on Coconut Oil... I heard it was suppose to be good for the bird also.. But reading I can't find out what kind you give and how much per day.

I was told hemp seed was good also for essential acids. True or not??

I also was told essential acid oil was good for seizures?

I am taking my Grey for a well check up and have so many questions, but I also like other opinions.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Await the wellnes-check-results before you start adding all kinds of stuff to the diet?

The usual issue with african greys is a calcium-deficieny (more dark green veggies etc. will fix that of course, but you can also feed eggshell once in a while)

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Has anyone used this Mediterranean Bread from Tops. I ordered some and really don't know how much to give my grey per day or even use it. Do you have info on it?

I also have a question on Coconut Oil... I heard it was suppose to be good for the bird also.. But reading I can't find out what kind you give and how much per day.

I was told hemp seed was good also for essential acids. True or not??

I also was told essential acid oil was good for seizures?

I am taking my Grey for a well check up and have so many questions, but I also like other opinions.

Perjo loves both styles of Tops birdie bread. I add a little buttermilk b/c Tops recipe is a very dry mix, doesn't blend well with just an egg.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Haven't used the tops bread mix but want to. Cuz I made up a bird bread and nobody ate it lol, guess I'm not an avain cheff.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When I make birdie muffins I put in a small tea spoon size of "100% pure virgin coconut oil" into the mixture. I use those paper muffin cups so as to not have to scrub the pan afterwards,and I also smear just a touch of coconut oil on the papers so the muffin doesn't stick. I also read the oil is good for the birdies.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Await the wellnes-check-results before you start adding all kinds of stuff to the diet?

The usual issue with african greys is a calcium-deficieny (more dark green veggies etc. will fix that of course, but you can also feed eggshell once in a while)

Christa is correct about greys and calcium deficiency. Smokey suffered once from low calcium (the first time I ever heard about it).
She acted drunk...was stumbling all over the floor dragging her arms. I rushed her to her CAV and he gave her a shot and within minutes she was back to her old self. He had a calcium liquid supplement to add to her water daily. she never had an episode again.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts