Food pellets and others.

patricia2626

Sep 8, 2021
Parrots
Budgies
If I feed them pellets, do I need to remove the seeds as I mix them as small amount seeds and more pellets.

How many do spoons do I need as I have 4 budgies do I give each bird 2 spoons as if it 2x4=8 is this correct.

Is only pellet diet better than the seeds and can I feed them daily vegetables greens is it ok to over feed them this low-fat diets who may contain over calcium.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your budgies! Sadly I have no experience with these tiny but full personality "mini parrots!" Without background to give helpful dietary advice, I note you are attempting to introduce pellets. Generally, if you mix them with seed the birds will choose the latter until depletion. Many conversion protocols introduce pellets as stand-alone without seed and alternate throughout the day. Not pushing Harrison's, but their large-parrot conversion technique worked flawlessly for my flock and ought work with any brand. Check out their small-bird advice: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Have you determined that you do want them on an all-pellet no-seed diet, or are you looking for advice about that?

Regarding seed vs pellets, I have read and heard opinions both ways, that all-pellet is best, and also that seedmix with some pellets is best. (I have also read that budgies are more adapted for more seed-eating than some other parrots.) I don't know which is true.

I was never able to convert my petstore budgies to pellets, but, I found they will eat them as a separate item along with their seeds. Also I get a good-quality seedmix that includes both pellets and seeds. I give tropical nutriberries to my Sun Conure, which are treats / food that include pellets, seeds, and nutrients, and all my budgies love to eat the leftover nutriberry crumbles.

You should always give your budgies access to green veggies, whether as chop or just as veggies clipped to cage or on a plate, like edible chew toys, daily.

For myself, originally my budgies would Not eat pellets at all. Eventually I convinced them to eat Some pellets. So I simply make sure to use a good quality seedmix, - I currently use Higgins Sunburst - and supply vegetables, and make pellets & nutriberry crumbles available.

The main, biggest concern with seeds-only, is lack of sufficient nutrients.

However the main biggest concern with pellet-conversion, is starvation. Originally, my budgies simply refused pellets for months. Jefferson-Budgie was amusingly clear to me about the refusal-- but!!-- it is not-unheard-of for budgies to pretend-eat until they starve to death. SO if you are indeed choosing to convert to pellets-only, please carefully examine the dish (and the cage floor below for discards! My Calliope-budgie will go into Sunny's cage and empty Sunny's pellet dish onto the cagefloor, pellet by individual pellet!), and make sure the pellets are actually being eaten.

Last edited:
OP
P

patricia2626

Sep 8, 2021
Parrots
Budgies
Welcome to you and your budgies! Sadly I have no experience with these tiny but full personality "mini parrots!" Without background to give helpful dietary advice, I note you are attempting to introduce pellets. Generally, if you mix them with seed the birds will choose the latter until depletion. Many conversion protocols introduce pellets as stand-alone without seed and alternate throughout the day. Not pushing Harrison's, but their large-parrot conversion technique worked flawlessly for my flock and ought work with any brand. Check out their small-bird advice: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/
I got Harrison not sure how diffrent are as I read here people complain becuase peaniuts some more fatter as I am trying and testing diffrents food and Zuprem natrual.

OP
P

patricia2626

Sep 8, 2021
Parrots
Budgies
Have you determined that you do want them on an all-pellet no-seed diet, or are you looking for advice about that?

Regarding seed vs pellets, I have read and heard opinions both ways, that all-pellet is best, and also that seedmix with some pellets is best. (I have also read that budgies are more adapted for more seed-eating than some other parrots.) I don't know which is true.

I was never able to convert my petstore budgies to pellets, but, I found they will eat them as a separate item along with their seeds. Also I get a good-quality seedmix that includes both pellets and seeds. I give tropical nutriberries to my Sun Conure, which are treats / food that include pellets, seeds, and nutrients, and all my budgies love to eat the leftover nutriberry crumbles.

You should always give your budgies access to green veggies, whether as chop or just as veggies clipped to cage or on a plate, like edible chew toys, daily.

For myself, originally my budgies would Not eat pellets at all. Eventually I convinced them to eat Some pellets. So I simply make sure to use a good quality seedmix, - I currently use Higgins Sunburst - and supply vegetables, and make pellets & nutriberry crumbles available.

However the main biggest concern with pellet-conversion, is starvation. Originally, my budgies simply refused pellets for months. Jefferson-Budgie was amusingly clear to me about the refusal-- but!!-- it is not-unheard-of for budgies to pretend-eat until they starve to death. SO if you are indeed choosing to convert to pellets-only, please carefully examine the dish (and the cage floor below for discards! My Calliope-budgie will go into Sunny's cage and empty Sunny's pellet dish onto the cagefloor, pellet by individual pellet!), and make sure the pellets are actually being eaten.
I got them pellets Harrison and Zumprem and feed them a bananna and I look in the plate it gone and empty and I dont see it on floor of the cage and the paper on bottom is never rip by them.

OP
P

patricia2626

Sep 8, 2021
Parrots
Budgies

The problem how many spoon do I need I got 4 of the budgies do I feed them 2 each per bird as Zumpreme say 3 spoons so all of them get 3 spoons and little seeds.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I got Harrison not sure how diffrent are as I read here people complain becuase peaniuts some more fatter as I am trying and testing diffrents food and Zuprem natrual.
In my opinion, Harrison's better overall quality than Zupreem. However, birds can be extremely picky eaters and the "best" pellet is the one they actually eat!

Most Reactions

Latest posts