Food recommendations

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
i am sorry, Zero. You didnā€™t do anything wrong. It is standard practice to offer eggshell or cuttlebone as you describe. I am much more concerned with calcium deficiency than excess calcium, and low calcium is a common problem especially in hen birds. Calcium excess is not a common problem.

If the bird has some other problem, maybe calcium supplements should be limited. But in general one does offer, especially to a hen bird on a seed based diet, supplemental calcium in the form of eggshells, cuttlebone, etc. calcium deficiency is dangerous and more of a concern in hen birds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hey guys calm down!

I should've explained myself better, when I add calcium (ground cuttlebone) to my birds food it is once a week, very small amount, to just there breakfast, if not cuttlebone a little ground almond.

I feel partially responsible :(

There is no reason for you to feel partially responsible as your suggestion was well understood by the vast majority of us.

The need to push disassociated /disconnect /limited application and/or confusing advise that has been selectively chosen has become a Hallmark of some members, in which other members are only attempt to clear the fog and work to return the conversation to the original question of the OP, i.e. a fussy /picky eater.

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Our bigger Amazon is very picky, but we found she prefers fruit to vegetable matter. We now combine berries and mash them up a bit so the flavor is on her other veg, as well as incorporating more sweet veggies like corn, carrots, and beets.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Supplemental calcium in a birds diet does not necessarily lead to chronic hypercalcemia.
You are definitely missing the point. Allow me to try again. Instead of trying to add calcium (even though that is popular, does not make it wise at all), focus on reducing (plant) toxins that interfere with the uptake of the calcium already present in the diet. Further, avoid giving parrots grit.
Humans are not birds.
Perhaps this seems sage, but it is a meaningless statement. Mice are not humans, but most good research for humans begins on mice. The physiology between parrots and humans has more similarities than differences. Sadly, parrot-specific research is highly lacking.
Have a nice life, LeeC.
So far so goodā€”thanks, @HeatherG.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
The need to push disassociated /disconnect /limited application and/or confusing advise that has been selectively chosen has become a Hallmark of some members, in which other members are only attempt to clear the fog and work to return the conversation to the original question of the OP, i.e. a fussy /picky eater.
The only worse is doling out the same old bad advise ad nauseum and ganging up on anyone who brings fresh insight. I hear an echo in the chamber.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You are definitely missing the point. Allow me to try again.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are missing the point.
Instead of trying to add calcium (even though that is popular, does not make it wise at all), focus on reducing (plant) toxins that interfere with the uptake of the calcium already present in the diet.

It's popular because it works. My vet completely agrees with adding small amounts of calcium via eggshells, cuttlebone or oyster shells. I believe you are confusing these things with liquid calcium which is a totally different thing.

Further, avoid giving parrots grit.

You do know that grit is not the same thing as a cuttlebone or oyster shells, correct? I have both soft bills as well as parrots, and my soft bills require grit as well as oyster shells. Grit looks like small chips of rocks.
I'm confused as to why you keep mentioning grit when I see no one disagreeing with you on that.

Perhaps this seems sage, but it is a meaningless statement.

This is only your opinion. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make their statement meaningless.
I think it's a pretty meaningful statement that I thought everyone knew. Birds are not humans.
When you can show me a human study that includes parrots, I'll read it. Otherwise, it's just information that is important for humans. It doesn't mean it that one should apply it regarding parrots.
Mice are not humans, but most good research for humans begins on mice. The physiology between parrots and humans has more similarities than differences. Sadly, parrot-specific research is highly lacking.

Parrots are also not mice, nor have I ever heard of them being used as research animals for humans.

I have been calm the entire time, but I appreciate the concern.

The fact that the another member felt the need to apologize for stating a commonly known and well-respected approach in the parrot world shouldn't ever have to happen.
I find it telling that you immediately assumed that they were talking about you remaining calm.

The only worse is doling out the same old bad advise ad nauseum and ganging up on anyone who brings fresh insight. I hear an echo in the chamber.

I see no one ganging up on you. When added together, our members literally have hundreds of years of experience with parrots. They share that experience when they post, and just because most of us may agree on certain subjects doesn't make it an echo chamber. Old advice doesn't necessarily mean bad advice.

When people with experience respond to you, you seem to have the habit of shutting them down, sometimes in a very condescending way.
It's difficult to have a conversation with someone who only listens to themselves, and who considers others' opinions meaningless.

I love your enthusiasm about parrots welfare, and I know you have things to share that could help others.
"You get more flies with honey than with vinegar" is a good thing to keep in mind when posting if you want to get your point across.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You are definitely missing the point. Allow me to try again. Instead of trying to add calcium (even though that is popular, does not make it wise at all), focus on reducing (plant) toxins that interfere with the uptake of the calcium already present in the diet. Further, avoid giving parrots grit.

Perhaps this seems sage, but it is a meaningless statement. Mice are not humans, but most good research for humans begins on mice. The physiology between parrots and humans has more similarities than differences. Sadly, parrot-specific research is highly lacking.

So far so goodā€”thanks, @HeatherG.

I am not missing any point. I donā€™t agree with you. And I have years of study to bolster my opinions.

Most Reactions