For those of you who have two IRNs only

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
I'd like to know if those of you, who have two IRN's only and no other birds, feed them in the one bowl together or do they have their own feeding stations and what your reasons are for your feeding choices.
I ask this because I want to know if, with you having IRN's, are having food squabbles even if only occasionally.
Another thing I want to ask is, does your IRN sometimes screech like something happened to it? You know the screech I'm talking about... it's like when it is squabbling with another bird... a sort of angry screech. My Missy does it sometimes. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with her but she does it sometimes, and she will fly about too like it's annoying her. She is currently having her first moult so I don't know if that is, in any way, causing it. As I said nothing seems to be wrong with her, I just wanted to know if there is a reason why she could be doing it. She and her sister from another mother, are both roughly 4 1/2 months old.

Attachments

• Missy and Gracie..jpg
    Missy and Gracie..jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 94

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
For my 2 IRNs I gave them each their own food, veggie and water bowl to keep from having any squabbles. My boy, Stevie, would have taken all the good stuff if I didn't.

I can't answer anything about a young IRN, mine were all grown when they came to me.
Stevie was very protective of Luna and would scream a warning cry to her when we would come in the room. Yours seem a bit young for that, though.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I keep an IRN with a Cockatiel. I have to have separate feeding bowls, or I often use a large bowl (like an 8" casserole dish) on top of the cage, or the IRN will dominate and take all the good food.

Sometimes my IRN, when sleeping, will swing forward squabbling 3 or 4 times, and bend down towards his feet. I have not seen if he favors one side over the other. He does have a toe defect, the long toe on one foot cannot curl around a perch but stays mostly straight. It's not totally stiff but does not bend the right way and is usually slightly bent wrong or straight. I wonder if he remembers/dreams of the injury or is having a phantom pain, or something real.

Most Reactions

Latest posts