Found a parakeet - respectfully asking for your input

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
Rescued Cinnamon Green-Cheeked Conure (Female)
Rescued Parakeet (sex: ?)
Hello, Parrot Forums Peeps!

I am a longtime owner of a much-beloved cinnamon green-cheeked conure (confirmed female, Vivvie). Yesterday, a lost parakeet came into my life and I am very much in need of this community's advice.

I found the little thing sitting on a dry fountain in the tree-lined courtyard of my urban apartment building, dirty and exhausted. Sadly, I see at least 3 or 4 free-roaming parakeets around here each year... I guess they either get out by accident or their owners let them go when they grow tired of them. Anyway, this one was so run down from its adventure outside that it stepped into my hand on command. It was dirty and shaking, and its wings were drooping.

My conure only uses a cage for sleep, but I keep a couple of other cages around for orphaned baby birds/small mammals that are also very common around here. When I put the parakeet in a cage with food, treats, and water, it IMMEDIATELY started eating and drinking but was very puffed up, wings still drooping, body still shaking, eyes often closing, and it sat in the middle of the floor with its head down as soon as it finished eating. I left it to rest alone in a dark, 72-degree room overnight with perches and a snuggle hut in the cage. Wasn't sure what I would see in the morning.

Well, this morning I could hear that my little guest was up and eating when I came in. It quickly scrambled up the cage bars to a high perch when I lifted the cover for a peek, so it had some energy. Still puffed up, though, and still trembling, wings still drooping, eyes still closed most of the time. There were several droppings around the cage... well-formed but light tan in color.

To be honest, I'm not prepared to take this bird to the vet. The only place around here that sees birds is an emergency clinic, and the base charge just for walking in the door with a bird is $75. If birdie improves over the next few days I'll take it to the nearest avian vet, which is over an hour away (and I don't own a car). But for now, it's just a matter of wait, see, and ask all of you for your assessment of what I've described of birdie's condition.

Thanks in advance for lending your knowledge.

Siún

P.S. Please don't judge me for the vet thing. I live in a major metro and am currently unemployed because of the pandemic. No friends or family nearby. Nobody else here would have even taken the bird in, so I'm the best option it has. At least I have a cage, supplies, and some bird experience. I just don't know parakeets. Thus my plea to y'all.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello, Parrot Forums Peeps!

I am a longtime owner of a much-beloved cinnamon green-cheeked conure (confirmed female, Vivvie). Yesterday, a lost parakeet came into my life and I am very much in need of this community's advice.

I found the little thing sitting on a dry fountain in the tree-lined courtyard of my urban apartment building, dirty and exhausted. Sadly, I see at least 3 or 4 free-roaming parakeets around here each year... I guess they either get out by accident or their owners let them go when they grow tired of them. Anyway, this one was so run down from its adventure outside that it stepped into my hand on command. It was dirty and shaking, and its wings were drooping.

My conure only uses a cage for sleep, but I keep a couple of other cages around for orphaned baby birds/small mammals that are also very common around here. When I put the parakeet in a cage with food, treats, and water, it IMMEDIATELY started eating and drinking but was very puffed up, wings still drooping, body still shaking, eyes often closing, and it sat in the middle of the floor with its head down as soon as it finished eating. I left it to rest alone in a dark, 72-degree room overnight with perches and a snuggle hut in the cage. Wasn't sure what I would see in the morning.

Well, this morning I could hear that my little guest was up and eating when I came in. It quickly scrambled up the cage bars to a high perch when I lifted the cover for a peek, so it had some energy. Still puffed up, though, and still trembling, wings still drooping, eyes still closed most of the time. There were several droppings around the cage... well-formed but light tan in color.

To be honest, I'm not prepared to take this bird to the vet. The only place around here that sees birds is an emergency clinic, and the base charge just for walking in the door with a bird is $75. If birdie improves over the next few days I'll take it to the nearest avian vet, which is over an hour away (and I don't own a car). But for now, it's just a matter of wait, see, and ask all of you for your assessment of what I've described of birdie's condition.

Thanks in advance for lending your knowledge.

Siún

P.S. Please don't judge me for the vet thing. I live in a major metro and am currently unemployed because of the pandemic. No friends or family nearby. Nobody else here would have even taken the bird in, so I'm the best option it has. At least I have a cage, supplies, and some bird experience. I just don't know parakeets. Thus my plea to y'all.
I think you are kindhearted, brave, and frank. This little one is lucky to meet you.

I don't know much but these things come to mind.....
1) keep her away from your bird so that the disease will not get contagious. And wash your hands after each handling.

2) since she has little strength, keep her on a flat surface with out perch. No climbing for now. Also let she rest in a quiet place with an hour of early morning sun light.

3) please take photo of her food and her dropping. Need to know the amount she eat and drink as compared to her excretion.

4) detailed account of her condition, each day. And compare day 1 and day2, any changes or improvement?
Need to know, what she eat, if she eat more or less. Is there sign of blood or wound, poop on her butt, any dirty feet, tail , does she preen herself. How is her breathing, any sneeze? Any puke?

5) try calling the vet and explain this situation,

6) put a sign asking for help on the apartment's board. There may be other kind people like you nearby, Or her owner may see this and reach out.

OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
I think you are kindhearted, brave, and frank. This little one is lucky to meet you.

I don't know much but these things come to mind.....
1) keep her away from your bird so that the disease will not get contagious. And wash your hands after each handling.

2) since she has little strength, keep her on a flat surface with out perch. No climbing for now. Also let she rest in a quiet place with an hour of early morning sun light.

3) please take photo of her food and her dropping. Need to know the amount she eat and drink as compared to her excretion.

4) detailed account of her condition, each day. And compare day 1 and day2, any changes or improvement?
Need to know, what she eat, if she eat more or less. Is there sign of blood or wound, poop on her butt, any dirty feet, tail , does she preen herself. How is her breathing, any sneeze? Any puke?

5) try calling the vet and explain this situation,

6) put a sign asking for help on the apartment's board. There may be other kind people like you nearby, Or her owner may see this and reach out.

Thanks so much for your advice, Emeral. I don''t think you necessarily meant for me to reply in detail, but the following answers are for you and others if you're interested.

1. Not letting my other bird in the same room with the newbie and I haven't touched the little thing since yesterday, so all good with the hygiene.

2. I know the bird shouldn't be climbing right now, but last night it kept climbing to the top of the cage like it was looking for a place to be high up, so I added a perch.... I didn't want the poor little thing to keep climbing up and down in vain. It didn't look to be trying to escape, just to sit high up. At least that's a promising sign.

The bird reacted badly to having the cover removed (puffed up and trembled even more, and closed its eyes completely), so I didn't give it sunlight this morning but will try to give it a bit of natural light in a quiet place later today.

3. Will be keeping a journal of observations/progress. So far the food & water intake/dropping output ratio is good, and droppings are well-formed, just not a great color (again, tan & pale).

4. No sneezing, vomiting, blood or caked-on feces. It looks dirty as in actual dirt. I didn't see it preen but some of the dirt seems to have been cleaned off since last night.

5. I left a message for the avian vet. The voicemail said they're closed on weekends and only accept emergency calls from existing patients... other calls will be returned on Monday. I also called the emergency vet clinic I mentioned earlier, and all they said was to bring the bird in. They wouldn't even let me describe the situation first. That place is all about the $$$, sadly. Anyway, soooo, I'm waiting.

6. I know nobody in this building will help, but a couple of family members are willing to cover partial costs if I do take the bird to the avian vet, though they want me to wait to see if it makes it through the weekend first. It seems that most people think of parakeets as being less worthy than larger, "smarter" birds. :-/

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Also never add vitamin to water, as grows bacteria, and mold.
But you can buy tge seeds for molt support that have vitamin added and feed those for extra support. You can also offer that egg food they sell fir extra support. Do check package for spoiling, as it can spoil easily, turns dark, smells bad.
Offer fresh corn cut from. The cob, fir calories, and thawed frozen peas for protein

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Very well done, and I mean you have been very kind to help her. Good to hear that she has strength to be climbing to higher ground for safety. If she is eating and drinking the same amount not less, she should be doing better.

I have asked around so let's look at some of the most common illness In birds....
Since there is no wound, maybe it's diarrhea or flu.

For diarrhea
Symptoms = dirty feather around the vent, dehydrated, undigested food in her sleep during the day
First aid = get her hydrated with sugar syrup solution, or honey diluted in water

For flu
Symptoms = puffed up, sneeze, discharge from nose and eye, if worsen can lead to swollen eyes, closed eyes, can not keep her head up
First aid = keep warm in 32-35 degree Celsius

Bird edible herbs that can help with both illness are.....
Basil leaves
Mint
Red Onion
Garlic
Lemon grass
Chilli

Fresh garlic kills fungus, bacteria, and intestinal parasites. Use as medicine, moderate amount to give would be half the size of her head for maximum of 5 days.

She is lucky to have you.

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
All the members have added great advice so I will not say much but just to say that this bird is lucky to have you! Another thing I will share is about emergency vets – in my experience, unless you go to a bird hospital for emergency, the regular ones that see other animals will know nothing about birds whatsoever, so it's a waste of money. One time one of my birds had chewed on a branch that was supposedly toxic for our birds and I called the emergency and they told me I would have to leave my bird there overnight (which would cost me tons of money, not to mention getting there by taxi which was really far) and I was about to do it. They scared me and said that the little bird could die at any moment and they would have to keep him overnight to keep an eye on him. Luckily, I have an uncle who is an animal doctor and he is very good with birds. I called him and he said that the vet just wanted to make money because the truth is that for a little bird that size, if he ate anything toxic he would have shown some symptoms 15 minutes later – not overnight! My bird hadn't vomited or anything and it turned out that he was totally fine. That was just one experience I am sharing but in general, they know nothing about birds as far as my experience with them goes. Wish you and your little bird healing and happiness –

OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
Also never add vitamin to water, as grows bacteria, and mold.
But you can buy tge seeds for molt support that have vitamin added and feed those for extra support. You can also offer that egg food they sell fir extra support. Do check package for spoiling, as it can spoil easily, turns dark, smells bad.
Offer fresh corn cut from. The cob, fir calories, and thawed frozen peas for protein
Thank you for both of your posts. All suggestions taken on board. Went to the grocery and pet store last night to get everything you mentioned. Skipped egg food in favor of egg sticks because my conure won't touch egg food... the parakeet likes the sticks just fine.

Man, parakeets need a lot of different stuff than other birds I've owned (conure, Senegal parrot, cockatiel). Did a lot of reading last night, since it's pretty clear my new birdie is going to make it and will now be part of our home. Will be buying a flight cage to replace the taller-than-wide bird cage it's in now, for one thing.

I'm keeping my conure at a distance for at least two weeks, but she (the conure) is already very curious and keeps clucking and purring at the parakeet. Vivvie is extremely easygoing, friendly, and gentle with every human and animal she meets, including other birds. She'll be thrilled when she can finally get closer. Have to make sure the little 'keet is ready for it. Might take quite some time.

Also considering whether I should get another parakeet or if Vivvie will be enough for companionship. I really wasn't looking to add another bird to my life, so adding a third makes me wince a little.

OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
Very well done, and I mean you have been very kind to help her. Good to hear that she has strength to be climbing to higher ground for safety. If she is eating and drinking the same amount not less, she should be doing better.

I have asked around so let's look at some of the most common illness In birds....
Since there is no wound, maybe it's diarrhea or flu.

For diarrhea
Symptoms = dirty feather around the vent, dehydrated, undigested food in her sleep during the day
First aid = get her hydrated with sugar syrup solution, or honey diluted in water

For flu
Symptoms = puffed up, sneeze, discharge from nose and eye, if worsen can lead to swollen eyes, closed eyes, can not keep her head up
First aid = keep warm in 32-35 degree Celsius

Bird edible herbs that can help with both illness are.....
Basil leaves
Mint
Red Onion
Garlic
Lemon grass
Chilli

Fresh garlic kills fungus, bacteria, and intestinal parasites. Use as medicine, moderate amount to give would be half the size of her head for maximum of 5 days.

She is lucky to have you.
Thanks again for taking the time to pass on great advice. The therpeutic information is much appreciated, though I do know that onion is definitely out for birds.

Thankfully, the parakeet is acting almost like a normal 'keet today. Recovering very nicely from its ordeal.

OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
All the members have added great advice so I will not say much but just to say that this bird is lucky to have you! Another thing I will share is about emergency vets – in my experience, unless you go to a bird hospital for emergency, the regular ones that see other animals will know nothing about birds whatsoever, so it's a waste of money. One time one of my birds had chewed on a branch that was supposedly toxic for our birds and I called the emergency and they told me I would have to leave my bird there overnight (which would cost me tons of money, not to mention getting there by taxi which was really far) and I was about to do it. They scared me and said that the little bird could die at any moment and they would have to keep him overnight to keep an eye on him. Luckily, I have an uncle who is an animal doctor and he is very good with birds. I called him and he said that the vet just wanted to make money because the truth is that for a little bird that size, if he ate anything toxic he would have shown some symptoms 15 minutes later – not overnight! My bird hadn't vomited or anything and it turned out that he was totally fine. That was just one experience I am sharing but in general, they know nothing about birds as far as my experience with them goes. Wish you and your little bird healing and happiness –
Thanks for the confirmation that an emergency vet was not the way to go. I actually learned that a while ago when my conure had a rash on her foot that appeared out of nowhere. I spent a fortune just to be told that the vet on duty had zero clue what was wrong with her. He just Googled it. Nothing different than I would have done. :-/

Glad your bird was okay. Looks like my little 'keet is going to be fine, too. Alert and active today, with normal appetite and droppings!

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
Thanks for the confirmation that an emergency vet was not the way to go. I actually learned that a while ago when my conure had a rash on her foot that appeared out of nowhere. I spent a fortune just to be told that the vet on duty had zero clue what was wrong with her. He just Googled it. Nothing different than I would have done. :-/

Glad your bird was okay. Looks like my little 'keet is going to be fine, too. Alert and active today, with normal appetite and droppings!
So glad to hear that your little one is going to be okay :)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Budgies ('keet's) are awesome little things,filled with so much birdonality.intelligence,love and fight and are so underrated! It sounds like your little guy/gal is on the road to recovery because you took the time to rescue/care for him and I'm sure in time he'll thank you a thousand times over,as I thank you now :)

I recall a few years back,I was going to take my Amazon to 24/7 emergency vet with an Avian vet on call because his usual vet was closed and he had caught/damaged one of his nails and it was bleeding pretty well and freaked me out and I wanted his others trimmed. Well that vet wanted $180 to do a physical ( which is regular vet had done 2 months prior) before they would even look at him! I took him home and used a styptic pencil (what guys use when they cut themselves shaving) It stopped the bleeding and I was able to get him to his regular Certified Avian Vet the very next day and paid $24 for the visit..It IS all about money!!

Jim

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I am thankful that this forum is here to help all the little wings, bringing us all together to talk about what is best for them.

Sadly, it is true that some vet can be all about money. Clear indication of the fee upfront, nothing about caring, nothing about advising on first aids. Putting price tag on life's chances. Worst thing is that, there is never a short supply with such folks in every field. Navigating from them takes tons of reading through reviews plus trials and errors.

Emerald once had a worsen condition because of such vet, shall I call them rich vet or vet who thinks we are rich? Phew, though we have been lucky to be able to limit the extent of harm, it was a narrow escape. And it was expensive both financially and emotionally.

Afterwards, our family set out to look and try out vets in the vicinity, crossing out the rich vets and the vets who thinks we are rich. Then, it took a visit, a small routine check up or sometimes two, to test them out for the right attitude, good supporting staff and price comparison. Determine to be better prepared before the emergency occur, we also agreed on setting aside an emergency fund just as we would be if we have a small child. Finally, in vain, we stumple on two kind and helpful avian vets. (The first kind vet we met, offered free treatment to needed stray creatures but had to close down....probably because of financial burden, I guess)

Finger crossed, I think we are OK now that we have kindhearted vets, their opening hours and one mobile number for emergency. Plus this forum, on top of it, sice prevention is better than cure.
(Still, we are not prepare if some serious illness with the need for specific special equipment should arise.)

I am sorry to cause concerns about red onion information earlier, here's my details.......

Our family always use natural remedies for the relief of Cold and Flu Symptoms together with common modern medicine.
At one time, Emerald was on prescribed antibiotics (from that rich vet or the vet who thinks we are rich) for a flu and stuffy nose. We already made as many as 6 vet visits yet one of her eye swell, because of the pressure from blocking mucous, did not reduce. So, we smash up red onions and put it near her cage. The fumes and smell in limited area, overnight, helped to clear the blocked nasal passage. Her stuffy nose turned runny, easy on her swelling eye too. So we put it in her cage both day and night. As our now stinky Emerald got better, I caught her eating the red onions. So I moved it (from her plate) to the tray under her cage, telling her the red onion is for smelling, not for eating. But later, she was seen trying very hard to eat it through the cage bar as it was in the tray right under her. I was worried and so removed it all immediately.

later, our family discussed among us about how to prevent this in the future. The process called everyone to her cages to agree on how much to put and where to put. (One cage is in the main area, one sleeping cage in another quite corner)
Meanwhile the free roaming Emerald went for chopped red onions on the chopping board, ate half of it. And yes, the sneezing stop that afternoon and she still lives.

Since she got better, we no longer think of red onion, from Emerald's experience, as poisonous. We asked around and heard that some bird breaders in asia used red onions for flu in birds. I didn't read any research for or against this matter. But since then, when winter comes and if Emerald sneezes, depends on what's available, a teaspoon of chopped red onion, a teaspoon of fresh garlic or a pot of basil in her cage stop her sneezing, preventing her from having another flu so far. And our family doesn't leave chopped red onions unattended.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Oh, poor little one!!! I really hope the little budgie gets well soon. But from reading your story, you already did everything you could by now, it is am amazing sign the bird is eating and drinking. I'm sure he/she will be fine in no time! As in your last post, if he's alert, eating, drinking, doing stuff, he will definitely be fine! And you're doing an amazing job for the little fluff, and we all thank you for that.

My partner found a budgie more than 7 years ago on an Easter Sunday morning - you can imagine, all shops were closed, no vets (only via private phone which he had), no nothing. Csilli (the budgie) escaped the jaws of death for sure. I remember my partner telling me the story how weak she was and they had no idea for the next 3 days if she will make it. Luckily he had some millet at home (he had a senegal at that time, still does) what was leftover from the treats, so she could feed that. The poor budgie didn't even put up a fight when he found her outside, she was so weak. Scared, but so weak. Puffed up, snoozing in a corner on the bottom for 3 days. My partner didn't even sleep those 3 nights. For two days she didn't even want to eat, only drink a little. On 3rd day she finally started eating the millet. On 4th day it was the first time she started perching on one of the lower branches. Because she was SO weak, even the vet on the phone suggested not to move her as the additional stress could easily kill her. Warm, dim and quiet place was a must for her, far from the curious senegal. She made her first chirps after 5-6 months. She was simply in such a bad state and so scared.

And now here she is, 7 years later, a beautiful and playful little ball of feathers. And loud. Quite loud. And adorable.

OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
Oh, poor little one!!! I really hope the little budgie gets well soon. But from reading your story, you already did everything you could by now, it is am amazing sign the bird is eating and drinking. I'm sure he/she will be fine in no time! As in your last post, if he's alert, eating, drinking, doing stuff, he will definitely be fine! And you're doing an amazing job for the little fluff, and we all thank you for that.

My partner found a budgie more than 7 years ago on an Easter Sunday morning - you can imagine, all shops were closed, no vets (only via private phone which he had), no nothing. Csilli (the budgie) escaped the jaws of death for sure. I remember my partner telling me the story how weak she was and they had no idea for the next 3 days if she will make it. Luckily he had some millet at home (he had a senegal at that time, still does) what was leftover from the treats, so she could feed that. The poor budgie didn't even put up a fight when he found her outside, she was so weak. Scared, but so weak. Puffed up, snoozing in a corner on the bottom for 3 days. My partner didn't even sleep those 3 nights. For two days she didn't even want to eat, only drink a little. On 3rd day she finally started eating the millet. On 4th day it was the first time she started perching on one of the lower branches. Because she was SO weak, even the vet on the phone suggested not to move her as the additional stress could easily kill her. Warm, dim and quiet place was a must for her, far from the curious senegal. She made her first chirps after 5-6 months. She was simply in such a bad state and so scared.

And now here she is, 7 years later, a beautiful and playful little ball of feathers. And loud. Quite loud. And adorable.
Awww, I love the story of little Csilli! I can certainly relate to the the sleepless nights. Luckily our little foundling recovered more quickly than we expected once she was safe, fed, and hydrated. We just moved her into a flight cage with lots of perches and toys (and more on reserve as we see what she prefers), and she's one happy little birdie. We've named her Maisie, and got her a companion 'keet... though we're anxious about how that's working out so far. That's for another thread....

Anyway, I'm so glad your/Csilli's story ended so well. Csilli went through a terrible, frightening time, but the loving home she found made it all worthwhile!

Attachments

• IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 90
OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
I am thankful that this forum is here to help all the little wings, bringing us all together to talk about what is best for them.

Sadly, it is true that some vet can be all about money. Clear indication of the fee upfront, nothing about caring, nothing about advising on first aids. Putting price tag on life's chances. Worst thing is that, there is never a short supply with such folks in every field. Navigating from them takes tons of reading through reviews plus trials and errors.

Emerald once had a worsen condition because of such vet, shall I call them rich vet or vet who thinks we are rich? Phew, though we have been lucky to be able to limit the extent of harm, it was a narrow escape. And it was expensive both financially and emotionally.

Afterwards, our family set out to look and try out vets in the vicinity, crossing out the rich vets and the vets who thinks we are rich. Then, it took a visit, a small routine check up or sometimes two, to test them out for the right attitude, good supporting staff and price comparison. Determine to be better prepared before the emergency occur, we also agreed on setting aside an emergency fund just as we would be if we have a small child. Finally, in vain, we stumple on two kind and helpful avian vets. (The first kind vet we met, offered free treatment to needed stray creatures but had to close down....probably because of financial burden, I guess)

Finger crossed, I think we are OK now that we have kindhearted vets, their opening hours and one mobile number for emergency. Plus this forum, on top of it, sice prevention is better than cure.
(Still, we are not prepare if some serious illness with the need for specific special equipment should arise.)

I am sorry to cause concerns about red onion information earlier, here's my details.......

Our family always use natural remedies for the relief of Cold and Flu Symptoms together with common modern medicine.
At one time, Emerald was on prescribed antibiotics (from that rich vet or the vet who thinks we are rich) for a flu and stuffy nose. We already made as many as 6 vet visits yet one of her eye swell, because of the pressure from blocking mucous, did not reduce. So, we smash up red onions and put it near her cage. The fumes and smell in limited area, overnight, helped to clear the blocked nasal passage. Her stuffy nose turned runny, easy on her swelling eye too. So we put it in her cage both day and night. As our now stinky Emerald got better, I caught her eating the red onions. So I moved it (from her plate) to the tray under her cage, telling her the red onion is for smelling, not for eating. But later, she was seen trying very hard to eat it through the cage bar as it was in the tray right under her. I was worried and so removed it all immediately.

later, our family discussed among us about how to prevent this in the future. The process called everyone to her cages to agree on how much to put and where to put. (One cage is in the main area, one sleeping cage in another quite corner)
Meanwhile the free roaming Emerald went for chopped red onions on the chopping board, ate half of it. And yes, the sneezing stop that afternoon and she still lives.

Since she got better, we no longer think of red onion, from Emerald's experience, as poisonous. We asked around and heard that some bird breaders in asia used red onions for flu in birds. I didn't read any research for or against this matter. But since then, when winter comes and if Emerald sneezes, depends on what's available, a teaspoon of chopped red onion, a teaspoon of fresh garlic or a pot of basil in her cage stop her sneezing, preventing her from having another flu so far. And our family doesn't leave chopped red onions unattended.
Thanks for adding more information about your experience with red onion. I'd still be personally inclined to avoid all onions for my birds, but it's very helpful to understand others' reasons for putting a food item on the "good" or "bad" list.

Glad Emerald has good vets now, who understand that not all bird owners have ample financial resources. I've found one here who is reasonably priced for the area, kind, competent, and by reputation very good with emergency needs. Fingers crossed we'll never *need* to see them!

OP
Siún

Siún

Oct 2, 2021
Parrots
Budgies ('keet's) are awesome little things,filled with so much birdonality.intelligence,love and fight and are so underrated! It sounds like your little guy/gal is on the road to recovery because you took the time to rescue/care for him and I'm sure in time he'll thank you a thousand times over,as I thank you now :)

I recall a few years back,I was going to take my Amazon to 24/7 emergency vet with an Avian vet on call because his usual vet was closed and he had caught/damaged one of his nails and it was bleeding pretty well and freaked me out and I wanted his others trimmed. Well that vet wanted $180 to do a physical ( which is regular vet had done 2 months prior) before they would even look at him! I took him home and used a styptic pencil (what guys use when they cut themselves shaving) It stopped the bleeding and I was able to get him to his regular Certified Avian Vet the very next day and paid $24 for the visit..It IS all about money!!

Jim
Thanks for the encouraging words. I couldn't be happier to have found my new buddy. :)

I have just found a good avian vet who I think I'll be very happy with. It took some digging, weirdly, but that's a good thing because they're not so big on advertising that everybody knows about them. The vets aren't particularly old, but they seem to prefer old-school word-of-mouth recommendations.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
We just moved her into a flight cage with lots of perches and toys (and more on reserve as we see what she prefers), and she's one happy little birdie. We've named her Maisie
Maisie is such a cute name!
Im trying to figure out what mutation she is
She looks lutino with a bit of green here and there? Idk-

Most Reactions

Latest posts