Found a snake in the garage

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
So it's starting to get cold around here and I went into the garage to turn on the hose, I noticed a snake hiding behind some things and while I was looking at it, the thing went into a crack between the foundation and the slab in the garage.

I know for certain it wasn't a garter snake so the first thing I thought about was my bird.

There is no possible way to snake proof my house so I need to figure out what to do.

This snake might be a bull snake but no matter what it is, something else could get in. There are fields and farms north of me and reservoirs east and south of me so the chances of snakes getting in here are probably pretty good.

I came up with a plan to get Petries original cage from my parents basement and put it upstairs hanging from the ceiling. That way when I do get a budgie pair she can hang out with them during the day while I'm gone and she'll be safe from any kind of snake. I was already planning on doing this but now i'm going to hurry up. Then she can come into her new cage downstairs when she is with me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I never even considered such a thing but now that I think about it that could be a big problem.

Last edited:
I don't think any snake will go anywhere beyond the garage. I think if you place these bars with rubbery material at each of your doors to the outside, you should be fine. They usually get connected to the bottom of the door and completely cover the gap between the door and the floor. I don't think snakes travel in the walls.....:eek:.
Hanging the cage is a great idea. Well that is if the cage is small. I know I can't hang my 24"X34" cages.....:)
I think this snake was after a warm place or looking for a nest. She might never come back after she realized there are people in the space.
Good luck.

Snakes are a hazard in Australia, and even come in houses- I'm worried about them at the moment as we have a mouse plague, and if mice can get in, so can snakes, and they might even come in looking for the mice! My outdoor aviaries are a particular concern, but there's little I can do about it. The hawks are bad enough- but then again if there are hawks about, snakes won't be. There was a lady from tropical Qld cleaning my office for a couple of months- she lost two birds to snakes, including a cockatoo in a cage under the house (some Nth Qld houses are "high set" i.e. the house is set on one storey high stumps, for coolness). She came down to find the python still in the cage- once it had eaten the cocky it couldn't get out again...

Last edited:
yeah that's what I figure, if it can get in the crawlspace it can get in the house, same with mice.

The cage I have in my parents basement is hanging now and it's pretty big.

Put some moth balls around the outside of the house and some in the garage. Snakes don't care for the smell and tend to steer clear of them.

Put some moth balls around the outside of the house and some in the garage. Snakes don't care for the smell and tend to steer clear of them.

good to know, thank you

also if it was a bull snake I want it to stay alive and healthy, they kill rattlesnakes and are the reason we don't have to worry about them here in colorado

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back