Found back my escaped Pionus, what to look for (health)

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Blueheaded Pionus-born May 2019
So yesterday after the worst 28 hours of my life, I found back my 4 year old blueheaded Pionus male. We and the family still almost can't believe it since it seemed like a helpless situation. Thankfully, all the social media and flyers and constant grueling search efforts paid off.

Anyway, back to the main point. I grabbed him from a tree, word is he was also spotted on a sidewalk earlier so he has had contact with more than just trees and bushes. The wildlife here consists of other small and similar sized birds and there's many cats. Plus I hope he didn't consume anything bad. He has no visible injuries, no fluid coming out of nostrils or eyes..his stool looks exactly the same too. Immediately upon rescue and inside he started eating and drinking. What I noticed yesterday was he was exhausted and crawled under the couch and wanted to stay there. He was due sleep in his cage.

That one night he survived outside it was around 40 degrees so I was worried he'd catch a cold. Today he started out still seeming tired and calm. Slowly throughout the day though his energy level increased and there were periods where he appeared the same as old. I took him to the vet this morning who checked him out and said he seems fine but I should closely monitor him. It is normal that he would be tired for a while after such a traumatic and exhausting journey right? Any idea how long it could take? I'm so happy but still have some slight worries.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Congratulations on getting your baby back!

It might take a few days for him to get back to normal, a week on the outside. He is a very lucky parrot!

OP
20brio19

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Congratulations on getting your baby back!

It might take a few days for him to get back to normal, a week on the outside. He is a very lucky parrot!

Thank you! I feel blessed and lucky. Sorry if I didn't write it down correctly, He escaped Saturday afternoon and was rescued Sunday early evening, so around 28 hours outside, buddy never made it past 2 blocks I don't think, lol.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so thrilled to see a happy end after a bird escapes, and Im thrilled that you got your baby back.
I also have a Blue-headed Pionus, and when he has been stressed out it takes several days for him to be himself again. I can't imagine how long it would take if he'd been outside for that many hours.
He's probably exhausted, stress really takes a lot out of anyone, human or bird.

I'd just keep a really close eye on him, and in a few days if he is still lethargic I'd take him back to the vet so they could run some tests.
Wishing you both the best of luck, your boy will be in my prayers.

OP
20brio19

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
I'm so thrilled to see a happy end after a bird escapes, and Im thrilled that you got your baby back.
I also have a Blue-headed Pionus, and when he has been stressed out it takes several days for him to be himself again. I can't imagine how long it would take if he'd been outside for that many hours.
He's probably exhausted, stress really takes a lot out of anyone, human or bird.

I'd just keep a really close eye on him, and in a few days if he is still lethargic I'd take him back to the vet so they could run some tests.
Wishing you both the best of luck, your boy will be in my prayers.

So true. I'm still exhausted too, couldn't sleep or eat anything during the entire ordeal.

Thanks for the advice.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So true. I'm still exhausted too, couldn't sleep or eat anything during the entire ordeal.

Thanks for the advice.
I can't even imagine the terror you must have felt. I'm so thrilled that he is back home, and that you can finally breathe.

OP
20brio19

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Today is a little better, in the sense that he is now also making some of the sounds he always made.

I'm much less worried now, though I still wonder when we'll be fully in the clear.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Today is a little better, in the sense that he is now also making some of the sounds he always made.

I'm much less worried now, though I still wonder when we'll be fully in the clear.
I know Iā€™m a little late, but howā€™s the little guy doing?

OP
20brio19

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
I know Iā€™m a little late, but howā€™s the little guy doing?

Great! Better than ever. After I got him back, he was displaying aggression at random moments for what seems like months. That's because I stopped bringing him over to my parents for visits(since that's where he initially escaped).

He kind of resented me for it but we were all a bit traumatized and worried it could happen again. I spend some time and effort into making both of our houses bird-proof. So I slowly started bringing him over there again. Not daily like before but he likes this current routine now.

He hasn't even bitten me in months.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Great! Better than ever. After I got him back, he was displaying aggression at random moments for what seems like months. That's because I stopped bringing him over to my parents for visits(since that's where he initially escaped).

He kind of resented me for it but we were all a bit traumatized and worried it could happen again. I spend some time and effort into making both of our houses bird-proof. So I slowly started bringing him over there again. Not daily like before but he likes this current routine now.

He hasn't even bitten me in months.
Glad to hear heā€™s doing good, despite being a little grump! Could you give him a treat for me?

Most Reactions