Found Stray can you help with age

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
Sriracha Peachfaced Lovebird
Blueberry Watermelon Rockerstyle Budgie
I'm fostering a Green Cheek Conure that was brought in as a Stray.
It acts very young and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out an approximate age.
Feet are quite pink with little to no callus/visible scales
Nails are long
The iris is brown
received_786018362701277.jpeg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'm fostering a Green Cheek Conure that was brought in as a Stray.
It acts very young and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out an approximate age.
Feet are quite pink with little to no callus/visible scales
Nails are long
The iris is brown
View attachment 49704
Unfortunately once a parrot is an adult telling its age is nearly impossible.
Even older birds have just as much energy as young bird.
The eye color doesn’t apply to green cheeks, many other species though like Greys, budgies, and IRNs.

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
Unfortunately once a parrot is an adult telling its age is nearly impossible.
Even older birds have just as much energy as young bird.
The eye color doesn’t apply to green cheeks, many other species though like Greys, budgies, and IRNs.
Thanks! All my previous experience was with a rescue Senegal. She passed when she was 25 about 5 years ago.
All of a sudden, my area seems to be having a boom of abandoned and stray birds. So I'm helping out.
In the past month I've ended up with a budgie that was left behind In an apartment building, a baby lovebird that's missing a toe and came very ill, and now the conure that was found hanging out with pigeons downtown. He even picked up a pigeon walk lol.
I'm a pet groomer with a specialty in exotics.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks! All my previous experience was with a rescue Senegal. She passed when she was 25 about 5 years ago.
All of a sudden, my area seems to be having a boom of abandoned and stray birds. So I'm helping out.
In the past month I've ended up with a budgie that was left behind In an apartment building, a baby lovebird that's missing a toe and came very ill, and now the conure that was found hanging out with pigeons downtown. He even picked up a pigeon walk lol.
I'm a pet groomer with a specialty in exotics.
I’m sorry to hear of your Senegal's passing!

I commemorate you for taking in so many birds! I wish I could be of more help concerning your conures age.
What’s his name?

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC

I commemorate you for taking in so many birds! I wish I could be of more help concerning your conures age.
What’s his name?
Calling him Syrax for now. Still hoping to find the owners but there are still absolutely no posts about a missing conure.
I'm at capacity for now. I run my pet grooming business from home, so it makes it a bit easier to care for them. 😊

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Calling him Syrax for now. Still hoping to find the owners but there are still absolutely no posts about a missing conure.
I'm at capacity for now. I run my pet grooming business from home, so it makes it a bit easier to care for them. 😊
That’s a cool name!
It’s too bad that not all lost birds can be reunited with their owners but at least he’s found a home with you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

What’s his name?
What kind of moron would leave a little Budgie (or ANY pet, bird or otherwise) behind in an apartment! I guess it's better than the dumpster or letting it go, but JEEZ!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
I'm a green cheek owner my estimate is less than 3 years. He looks healthy!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'd estimate the bird is younger than what others said. The white lids around the eyes get darker with age. I'd say the bird is still a juvenile. Maybe even less than a year, certainly less than two years old. As they age that area goes more brown/grey.

I'm not an avian vet but....in my opinion the brightness around the eyes points to a much younger bird.

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
I'd estimate the bird is younger than what others said. The white lids around the eyes get darker with age. I'd say the bird is still a juvenile. Maybe even less than a year, certainly less than two years old. As they age that area goes more brown/grey.

I'm not an avian vet but....in my opinion the brightness around the eyes points to a much younger bird.
Thanks! I'm thinking so too. The behavior is really babyish? bites are more of a firm pinch as if it's testing what it can get away with?
All the older birds I handle for nails and wings are out for blood if they want to bite. This little dude is more like...hey, what are you doing?
He was amazing for nails, especially considering how long they were. But again they were long but the quick wasn't.
The more time goes on I'm thinking this is a pet store escapee.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm glad he/she found you.

PLEASE spend the 60 bucks or so to get an avain vet, get it DNA sexed and checked out. It's a 400 to 800 dollar bird....make sure its gonna have a happy healthy life.

Google AVN and something should come up. I'm sure it's healthy but get the baseline in case in the future its like um are you sick?????

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)

PLEASE spend the 60 bucks or so to get an avain vet, get it DNA sexed and checked out. It's a 400 to 800 dollar bird....make sure its gonna have a happy healthy life.

Google AVN and something should come up. I'm sure it's healthy but get the baseline in case in the future its like um are you sick?????
IQBird testing in Miami fla. DNA test for sexing is $16

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Don't take this question the "wrong way" but why is it important to know the sex of your parrot if you only have one of a particular species? The care of both sexes would seem to be the same unless the parrot starts laying eggs in which case it's obvious. I thought people wanted to prevent seasonal breeding behavior of both males and females. Wouldn't the non-medical prevention methods be similar for both sexes (no petting backs and tails, no hidey holes, less shredding toys etc)?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
because temperament, and some birds tend to pick the opposite gender as their favorite person.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies ( parakeet)
IQBird testing in Miami fla. DNA test for sexing is $16

Don't take this question the "wrong way" but why is it important to know the sex of your parrot if you only have one of a particular species? The care of both sexes would seem to be the same unless the parrot starts laying eggs in which case it's obvious. I thought people wanted to prevent seasonal breeding behavior of both males and females. Wouldn't the non-medical prevention methods be similar for both sexes (no petting backs and tails, no hidey holes, less shredding toys etc)?
It's important to know if it's a male or female for exactly the reason you touched on ...if you have a female you have to keep the possibility of egg binding and you can avoid that condition thru diet ...I admit I feed the same diet to both male and female with the exception that I give my female more calcium (calsivet in water)
If you know it's male apparently the egg binding is not a factor and you don't have to worry about a surprise egg on the cage floor

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's important to know if it's a male or female for exactly the reason you touched on ...if you have a female you have to keep the possibility of egg binding and you can avoid that condition thru diet ...I admit I feed the same diet to both male and female with the exception that I give my female more calcium (calsivet in water)
If you know it's male apparently the egg binding is not a factor and you don't have to worry about a surprise egg on the cage floor
Thanks.
I'm a big fan of Calcivet. I lost a budgie to egg binding and it's a horrible death.

OP
S

sayadina

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Syrax GCC
Thank you everyone for the awesome advice.
I will be dna testing through HealthGene in Toronto, Canada. I have a lovebird that I was already going to be testing, so I'll just send in two cards. It's 17 per bird and I've had clients recommended them over the years.
Egg binding is a concern that's why I dna my birds 🐦 I have no intention of breeding but I like to be aware of the gender.
I will be getting in touch with my vet friend to possibly do a poop analysis.
I'm a groomer that specializes in exotics. So I see a bunch of birds lol. my only big concern was the avian flu, but he's showing no signs so far.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies ( parakeet)
Thanks.
I'm a big fan of Calcivet. I lost a budgie to egg binding and it's a horrible death.
Then you can understand how important it can be to know if you have a male or female... for the cost ($16)
it's cheap peace of mind

Most Reactions

Latest posts