Free Goffins Cockatoo/Kings’ cage to loving home in NY area

Baldesk

Jan 5, 2018
I have a 4 year-old female Goffins Cockatoo who is loved dearly by 3 of 4 people in my household. My Wife happens to be person #4 who struggles with the bird. “Bella” gets very vocal when my wife speaks, and also likes to nip at her when out of her cage. I know and expect these behaviors, but my wife is not wired to properly address the behavior. To be fair, my wife feeds Bella gourmet bird food and supplies a wide variety of toys on a regular basis to try and engage Bella and keep her happy. We have discussed clipping Bella’s wings (currently full-flight) or moving her to the basement, but we would prefer not to break her spirit. Bella currently spends 1-2 hours a day out of her cage.

Please let me know if anyone is looking to adopt in the NY area (inclusive of a beautiful Kings’ cage). No pet stores or people looking to breed please.

OP
B

Baldesk

Jan 5, 2018
Just to clarify, I live in central NJ but generalized to “NY area” in my description

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry that you have come to this position.

Consider adding pictures to your Thread, it may help another to connect.

Please consider reading the Too Forum as you may just find several methods of helping the relationship between your Goffin and your dear Wife.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I have a 4 year-old female Goffins Cockatoo who is loved dearly by 3 of 4 people in my household. My Wife happens to be person #4 who struggles with the bird. “Bella” gets very vocal when my wife speaks, and also likes to nip at her when out of her cage. I know and expect these behaviors, but my wife is not wired to properly address the behavior. To be fair, my wife feeds Bella gourmet bird food and supplies a wide variety of toys on a regular basis to try and engage Bella and keep her happy. We have discussed clipping Bella’s wings (currently full-flight) or moving her to the basement, but we would prefer not to break her spirit. Bella currently spends 1-2 hours a day out of her cage.

Please let me know if anyone is looking to adopt in the NY area (inclusive of a beautiful Kings’ cage). No pet stores or people looking to breed please.
Please don't move her to the basement. I hope you are just joking. The motto of WikiBeaks (parrot welfare organization) is "Keeping parrots out of basements since 2017" for a reason. A human abode is already a dangerous and restrictive place for a winged bird. It's already an impoverished environment - no matter how many toys and treats, it's not at the level of screaming-flock-of-parrots-that-are-just-like-me-oh-joy. To move a parrot into a basement is beyond cruel. It seems simple on the surface - parrot quiets down, people are happy, problem solved. But the parrot is now even more isolated and starved for attention. A parrot shut off like this, in a basement or back bedroom, is likely to go through stages of terror and boredom and depression, just like a person. They are likely to start plucking out their own feathers and sometimes progress to chewing holes in their own flesh. They go insane. It's much better to do what you are doing, to find a new loving home, than to put her in the basement. Hopefully one of the denizens of ParrotForums is looking for someone just like her.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If I lived closer I might be interested! Goffins are wonderful companions, but require plenty of time, love, and understanding.

Is your wife irrevocably distanced from Bella? If you are all in accordance with another attempt, there are so many techniques available to broaden the horizons. The notion of clipping wings to help modify behavior is not absent merit. One of my dearest Goffins, a 21 year old male hatched and hand-raised in my home, experienced a particularly rough hormonal cycle last year. Our vet first verified the absence of illness and recommended a one-time clip to reduce his independence. Worked like a charm, he is back to his sweet self and feathers have re-grown. (all of my Goffins are bonded and receive an abundance of attention)

If not, seeking the best possible home is a most ethical decision! I would also recommend attaching a meaningful but fair price for adoption in lieu of "free." You might attract "flippers" or cavalier suitors with little reason to act in Bella's long-term best interest.

acmecoyote

Jan 13, 2018
Hanover,Pa
Parrots
30+ year old Blue front amazon. 30+ year old African Grey.
The best solution,to me,is to find a way to change the birds behavior thru changes in habit? A Light trim on the wings is a start. Now she is dependent on your family members to get where she wants to go. That will be a change that makes her sweeter,to everyone, immediately. Bella may have decided that nipping your wife is "their game". If your wife yells or reacts loudly to bites- to Bella it's a game now. If your wife is willing to try something new,ask her to try this. When Bella bites,simply don't react! Quietly pull her hand away,if she wears glasses-take them off,and give Bella the most hairiest of eyeballs! No yelling,brow beating,simply the dirtiest of looks.A few times of no reaction and a dirty look will end the "game". Please DON'T put her in the basement! These animals all thrive on being around action! My birds have music when no one is home. When I'm home I have Bluetooth speakers near them and we work on whistling songs. "Bridge over river kwai" is our latest attempt. Stimulation! Chaos! My Birds love when my grand kids are running around like wild children! To put Bella in a quiet spot,out of the way will crush her. If you feel you have exhausted all options and have no more to give to Bella,I will come get her. I don't live far. I too am a new member so I'm lost as to how we can PM our phone numbers,if it comes to that.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
The best solution,to me,is to find a way to change the birds behavior thru changes in habit? A Light trim on the wings is a start. Now she is dependent on your family members to get where she wants to go. That will be a change that makes her sweeter,to everyone, immediately. Bella may have decided that nipping your wife is "their game". If your wife yells or reacts loudly to bites- to Bella it's a game now. If your wife is willing to try something new,ask her to try this. When Bella bites,simply don't react! Quietly pull her hand away,if she wears glasses-take them off,and give Bella the most hairiest of eyeballs! No yelling,brow beating,simply the dirtiest of looks.A few times of no reaction and a dirty look will end the "game". Please DON'T put her in the basement! These animals all thrive on being around action! My birds have music when no one is home. When I'm home I have Bluetooth speakers near them and we work on whistling songs. "Bridge over river kwai" is our latest attempt. Stimulation! Chaos! My Birds love when my grand kids are running around like wild children! To put Bella in a quiet spot,out of the way will crush her. If you feel you have exhausted all options and have no more to give to Bella,I will come get her. I don't live far. I too am a new member so I'm lost as to how we can PM our phone numbers,if it comes to that.

A moderator will forward your messages.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I too am a new member so I'm lost as to how we can PM our phone numbers,if it comes to that.

As Grace mentioned, just send a message to any Super Moderator (our names are in purple) and we will be glad to forward it to the OP for you.

rbtlyn

Aug 24, 2017
Media
I live in NY and it would be no problem coming to you. Right now I have a Macaw and am looking to ad to make my flock.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Have you found a home for her yet? I am interested if not.

I live in NY and it would be no problem coming to you. Right now I have a Macaw and am looking to ad to make my flock.

I'll send a message to the OP. If they are interested, they can PM me contact info and I'll forward to you.

OP
B

Baldesk

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks Scott and others for your good advice. I sent a PM to rbtlyn. I am going to try and clip Bella’s wings to see if her behavior towards my wife improves materially. I will report back in a few weeks. Thanks again!

rbtlyn

Aug 24, 2017
Media
Baldesk I saw that you said that you sent me a PM. I just wanted to let you know that I never received it. How are things going with your goffin? I am still willing and able if you ever need me.

Saracerello

Jan 31, 2018
I have a green cheek conure and met for the first time yesterday a goffins cockatoo and absolutely fell in love. I hope everything works out in the best interest of Bella! I found this thread and made an account specifically to contact you, I think it's great that you are trying all you can to make it work with Bella, but reality is birds choose us, we don't choose them, lol! I would love to come and meet Bella, to see if we hit it off and to see if Bella chooses me, haha! I am looking forward to hearing back from you and best of luck to you and your family!!

Mdiasrtt

Jan 10, 2016
Hi my name isMichelle I have been looking for a cockatoo for years I have had many parrots I work with abused birds or all breeds and sizes please please let me give your baby a great home it's been a dream of mine to have a cockatoo again my name is michelle I live in greenwich Ct

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 11, 2018
Hi, I live in Northern Virginia and rescued a Goffin's this past November. I don't know how I ever lived without one. Please send some photos of Bella. I would be very interested in seeing her and potentially bringing her into our home if things don't work out. Thank you.

Animewookie

Sep 30, 2018
New Jersey
Parrots
Family owned, son...lovebird, Tiberius
Chicken, Chelsea
Daughter, ...spectacled Amazon...Cooper, chickens...Bogart and Jim
All kids, 4 keets...Bluebird, Graybird, Cricket, Somthing
Twins chickens...
I live in central Jersey and have parrot experience if you are still looking to rehome

Most Reactions

Latest posts